Voucher Funding Policy
VOUCHER FUNDING POLICY & PROCEDURE
The CBSD provides vouchers to UM principal investigators to pay core facility fees for the following research core facilities:
- BioSpectroscopy Core
- Macromolecular X-Ray Diffraction Core
- Magnetic Resonance Core
- Molecular Computation Core
Vouchers will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- The PI is a project investigator of the CBSD CoBRE and voucher funds will be used to fulfill specific aims of the CoBRE project,
The PI is any UM faculty member (including CoBRE investigators) who has no source of intramural (including SPABA) or extramural funding to support the project for which CBSD voucher funds are requested*.
- Voucher requests may not exceed $1000.00. Subsequent voucher funds may be requested, provided a new application is submitted which adheres to the voucher policy.
- Voucher requests for core service charges that have already been incurred will not be approved.
- All PIs who receive voucher funding must report to CBSD all grant applications (intramural or extramural) submitted or awarded, and manuscripts submitted for publication that are based on work performed using voucher funds must cite the CBSD CoBRE grant P20GM103546.
- PIs who have used voucher funds to support applications for extramural funding will be given preference in subsequent applications for voucher funding versus subsequent applications from PIs who have not. 
- Voucher funds are awarded by fiscal year, and therefore expire if not expended by June 30 of each fiscal year. Applicants will need to reapply for voucher funds each fiscal year.
- Voucher funds not used within 30 days of award will receive a notice of inactivity, and voucher funds will be released from the PI after 60 days of inactivity. Applicants who do not use their voucher funds due to inactivity will need to reapply.
- Funds are limited and awarded on a first come, first served basis. Approval of requests is subject to availability of funds and adherence to the voucher policy.
- The Office of the Vice President for Research and Creative Scholarship (VPRCS) also provides limited vouchers for users of the BioSpectroscopy, Macromolecular X-Ray Diffraction and Magnetic Resonance Core Facilities. VPRCS provides vouchers to investigators who are without research funding or whose funds are committed to other projects*. The CBSD may refer vouchers from PIs who fulfill this criterion for support to the VPRCS for funding ONLY FOR the Macromolecular X-ray Diffraction and BioSpectroscopy cores.
- Applicants should consult with the Core director/manager to ascertain that requested services can be undertaken and to determine the cost of services and supplies. Core directors or managers are responsible for verifying project feasibility and cost of services, but not eligibility of the applicant for voucher funding.
- Voucher requests will only be accepted from UM Faculty. Students/Staff/Other non-Faculty researchers may have a Faculty PI submit a voucher application on their behalf.
- Voucher requests must be received from the applicant with written approval from the Core director/manager attached. Applicant must e-mail completed application to email@example.com. Applications sent elsewhere cannot be recognized as received.
- Applications are due to the CBSD at least 6 business days before the 1st of the month you would like to begin this work (e.g., if you would like to start work June 1 your voucher request must be in at least 6 business days prior to June 1) .
- The applicant and Core director/manager will be notified on the first of the month following that in which the application is submitted, whether the application is approved or denied, and the award level.
- Voucher-supported projects may be initiated only after a voucher application is approved by the CBSD director, and both applicant and Core director/manager have received official notice of award.
- Core director/manager is responsible for logging all core services provided and tracking the use of voucher funds for voucher-supported projects by noting “voucher” in the payment column of their monthly core use log. Monthly usage and billing is due to the CBSD on the 1st of each month within the monthly billing logs reporting all core usage.
- PIs and/or the Core director/manager are responsible for tracking the voucher fund balance and providing a billable index code for charges in excess of voucher funds upon request, should voucher funds be exhausted. If existing voucher funds will be expended prior to completion of a project, additional voucher funds may be requested, provided a new application is submitted which adheres to the voucher policy and procedure.
- CBSD will complete billing monthly and provide faculty PIs with invoices via campus mail (additional copies or electronic copies available upon request).
IMPORTANT: Cite the CBSD COBRE award in any publications arising from your use of the core: this is essential for continued support of the core by the University and the NIH.
NIH suggested citation: “Research reported in this publication was supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number P20GM103546”.
Policy and Procedure Updated 7/27/2015
* Excluded from this provision are core vouchers for projects that have significant overlap with funded projects.