Applying to the Program
The Department of Communication Studies limits the size of the graduate program, so admission is competitive. We make selections based upon:
- GPA (a minimum of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale in undergraduate course work is required)*
- Academic writing sample
- Letter of intent
- Letters of reference
We do not require the GRE for application or admission, although you may send these scores as supplemental evidence of preparedness for our program.
*An appeal can be made for the admissions committee to consider provisional admission for a student who does not meet the GPA requirement, based on higher performance in other areas or other mitigating factors.
Applicants for Fall Semester are strongly encouraged to submit their materials by February 1. Although applications received after this date will be considered, students seeking a teaching assistantship will receive priority consideration by meeting this deadline.
Applicants for Spring Semester should submit their materials by November 1. Typically, teaching assistantships are not available mid-year, but admitted students can request to be considered for an assistantship along with Fall Semester applicants.
Applications to the MA program in Communication Studies are directed by UM's Graduate School. To apply to the program, please read the information posted on the Graduate School website and then complete the online application.
- Letters of recommendation: Within the online application, you can arrange for your letter writers to submit their recommendations via email. We prefer that at least two, if not all three, letters should come from faculty members who have directly evaluated your academic performance.
- Official transcripts: These need to be sent from all colleges and universities attended. These should be sent directly from the registrar at those institutions.
- Letter of intent: A one-page statement describing your academic background and reasons for seeking an MA degree from our program.
- Writing sample: An academic essay or report that demonstrates your writing and research skills.
Please Director of Graduate Studies Dr. Christina G. Yoshimura with any questions regarding application at firstname.lastname@example.org.