1) Virology BIOM 435 3 CR (Spring semesters)
2) Advanced Virology BIOM 535 (Spring semesters; concurrent with BIOM435)
3) Topics of Virology BIOB 596 1CR Spring semesters/co-requsite for BIOM535).
2003-2009 Postdoctoral Training, Oregon Health and Science, Portland, OR
2003 Ph.D. University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
1997 B.S., Winona State University, Winona, MN
Molecular biology of human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) replication.
Current research goals:
1) To characterize the glycoprotein complexes present in the HCMV envelope that mediate attachment and entry.
2) To define the mechanisms by which HCMV enters different types of cells.
3) To better understand the specific roles of epithelial and endothelial cells in the pathogenesis of HCMV disease.
- Zhang L, Zhou M, Stanton R, Kamil J, Ryckman BJ. Expression levels of glycoprotein O (gO) vary between strains of human cytomegalovirus, influencing the assembly of gH/gL complexes and virion infectivity. J Virol. 2018 May 9. pii: JVI.00606-18
- Schultz E.P., Lanchy, J.M., Ellerbeck, E.E., Ryckman B.J. Scanning mutagenesis of human cytomegalovirus gH/gL. J.Virol. 90(5):2294-2305
- Zhou M, Lanchy J.M, Ryckman B.J. Human Cytomegalovirus gH/gL/gO Promotes the Fusion Step of Entry into All Cell Types, whereas gH/gL/UL128-131 Broadens Virus Tropism through a Distinct Mechanism. J Virol. 89(17):8999-9009.
- Li G., Nguyen C.C., Ryckman B.J., Britt W.J., Kamil J.P. A viral regulator of glycoprotein complexes contributes to human cytomegalovirus cell tropism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Apr 7;112(14):4471-6
- Zhou M, Yu Q, Wechsler A, Ryckman BJ. (2013) Comparative Analysis of gO Isoforms Reveals that Strains of Human Cytomegalovirus Differ in the Ratio of gH/gL/gO and gH/gL/UL128-131 in the Virion Envelope. J. Virol. 87:9680-9690.
- Wille PT, Wisner TW, Ryckman B, Johnson DC. Human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) glycoprotein gB promotes virus entry in trans acting as the viral fusion protein rather than as a receptor-binding protein. MBio. 4(3):e00332-13.
- Ryckman,B.J., M.C. Chase, and D.C. Johnson. Human cytomegalovirus TR strain glycoprotein O acts as a chaperone promoting gH/gL incorporation into virions but is not present in virions. J. Virol. 84:2597-2609
- Ryckman,B.J., M.C. Chase, and D.C. Johnson. HCMV gH/gL/UL128-131 interferes with virus entry into epithelial cells: evidence for cell type-specific receptors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 105:14118-14123.
- Ryckman, B.J., B. Rainish, M.C. Chase, J. Borton, M.A. Jarvis, J.A. Nelson and D.C. Johnson. Characterization of the HCMV gH/gL/UL128-131 complex that mediates entry into epithelial and endothelial cells. J. Virol. 82:60-70.
- Ryckman, B.J., M.A. Jarvis, D.D. Drummond, J.A. Nelson and D.C. Johnson. Human cytomegalovirus entry into epithelial and endothelial cells depends on genes UL128 to UL150 and occurs by endocytosis and low-pH fusion. J. Virol. 80:710-722.