My specific research focus is in Computational Landscape Ecology: Developing, optimizing, and applying agent-based programs for understanding relationships between biological processes and population patterns across landscapes.
PhD 2010, University of Montana (Mathematical/Computational Ecology)
MS 2004, SD School of Mines and Technology (Atmospheric Sciences)
BS 2002, SD School of Mines and Technology (Mathematics)
- Macdonald EA, Cushman SA, Landguth EL, Hearn AJ, Malhi Y, Macdonald DW (2018) Simulating impacts of rapid forest loss on population size, connectivity and genetic diversity of Sunda clouded leopards (Neofelis diardi) in Borneo. PLOS ONE. PONE-D-18-00993R1.
- Escalante M, Leon G, Arturo RL, Landguth EL, Manel S (2018) The interplay of riverscape features and exotic introgression on the genetic structure of the Mexican golden trout (Oncorhynchus chysogaster). Journal of Biogeography. DOI: 10.1111/jbi.13246
- Day C, Landguth EL, Bearlin A, Holden ZA, Whiteley AR (2018) Using simulation modeling to inform management of invasive species: A case study of eastern brook trout suppression and eradication. Biological Conservation, 221, 10-22.
- Palmer C, Landguth EL, Stone E, Johnson T (2018) The dynamics of vector-borne relapsing diseases. Mathematical Biosciences, 297, 32-42.
- Prachi T, Joshi A, Vaidyanathan S, Landguth EL, Ramakrishnan U (2018) Maintaining tiger connectivity and minimizing extinction into the next century: Insights from landscape genetics and spatially-explicit simulations. Biological Conservation, 218, 181-191.
- Kristensen TV, Puckett EE, Landguth EL, Hast J, Carpenter C, Sajecki JL, Belant JL, Berringer J, Means M, Cox J, Eggert LS, White Jr D, Smith KG (2018) Spatial genetic structure in American black bears (Ursus americanus): female philopatry is variable and related population history. Heredity, 130, 329-341.
- Cushman SA, Macdonald EA, Landguth EL, Malhi Y, Macdonald DW (2017) Multiple-scale prediction of forest loss risk across Borneo. Landscape Ecology. DOI 10.1007/s10980-017-0520-0.
- Cooper LA, Ballantyne AP, Holden ZA, Landguth EL (2017) Disturbance impacts on land surface temperature and gross primary productivity in the western United States. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 122, 930-946.
- Shirk A, Landguth EL, Cushman SA (2017) A comparison of individual-based genetic distance metrics for landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Resources, DOI: 10.1111/1755-0998.12684.
- Shirk A, Landguth EL, Cushman SA (2017) A comparison of regression methods for model selection in individual-based landscape genetic analysis. Molecular Ecology Resources. DOI: 10.1111/1755-0998.12709.
- Landguth EL, Holden ZA, Mahalovich MF, Cushman SA (2017) Using landscape genetics simulations for planting blister rust resistance whitebark pine in the US Northern Rocky Mountains. Frontiers in Genetics, section Evolutionary and Population Genetics. https://doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2017.00009.
- Franckowiak R, Panasci M, Jarvis K, Acuna-Rodriguez I, Landguth EL, Fortin M-J, Wagner HH (2017) Model selection with multiple regression on distance matrices leads to incorrect inferences. PLoS ONE. PONE-D-16-40179R1
- Creech T, Epps C, Landguth EL, Wehausen JD, Crowhorst R, Holton B, Monello RJ (2017) Simulating the spread of selection-driven genotypes using landscape resistance models for desert bighorn sheep. PLOS ONE, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0176960.
- Stucki S, Orozco-terWengel P, Forester B, Colli L, Masembe C, Negrini R, Landguth EL, Jones M, Duruz S, Bruford M, Taberlet P, Joost S (2016) High performance computation of landscape genomic models including local indicators of spatial association. Molecular Ecology Resources. 10.1111/1755-0998.12629.
- Schwabl P, Llewellyn M, Landguth EL, Andersson BA, Kitron U, Costales JA, Ocana S, Grijalva MJ (2016) Prediction and prevention of parasitic diseases using a landscape genomics framework. Trends in Parasitology. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pt.2016.10.008.
- Zeller K, Creech T, Millette K, Crowhurst R, Long R, Balkenhol N, Wagner HH, Landguth EL (2016) Using simulations to evaluate Mantel-based methods for assessing landscape resistance to gene flow. Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.2154.
- Smith A, Landguth EL, Banks S, M Bull, D Driscoll, M Gardner (2016) Disturbance and succession influence genetic diversity through habitat-mediated dispersal. Royal Society Proceedings B. doi: 10.1098/rspb.2015.2934.
- Davies, ID, Cary GJ, Landguth EL, Lindenmayer DB, Banks SC (2016) Implications of recurrent disturbance for genetic diversity. Ecology and Evolution, 6, 1181-96.
- Johnson TLco, Landguth ELco, Stone E (2016) Modeling relapsing disease dynamics in a host vector community. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004428. co- Contributed equally to this work.
- Scribner K, Lowe W, Landguth EL, et al. (2016) Applications of Genetic Data to Improve Management and Conservation of River Fishes and Their Habitats. Fisheries, 41,174-188.
- Landguth EL, Bearlin A, Day C, Dunham J (2016) CDmetaPOP: an individual-based, eco-evolutionary model for spatially-explicit simulation of landscape demogenetics. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. 8, 4-11.
- Forester B, Jones M, Joost S, Landguth EL, Lasky J (2016) Detecting spatial genetic signatures of local adaptation in heterogeneous landscapes. Molecular Ecology, 25,104-20.
- Cushman S, Landguth EL (2016) Spatially heterogeneous environmental selection strengthens evolution of reproductively isolated populations in a Dobzhansky-Muller system of hybrid incompatibility. Frontiers in Genetics, http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2016.00209.
- Landguth EL, Johnson NJ, Cushman SA (2015) Clusters of incompatible genotypes evolve with limited dispersal. Frontiers in Genetics, Evolutionary and Population Genetics. doi:0.3389/fgene.2015.00151
- Noonan CW, Conway K, Landguth EL, McNew T, Pfau J, Black B, Szeinuk J, Flores R (2015) Multi-pathway exposure assessment for an asbestos-exposed Superfund community. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology. doi:10.1038/jes.2014.25.
- Cooke GM, Landguth EL, Beheregaray LB (2014) Riverscape genetics and replicated ecological speciation across an Amazonian ecotone. Evolution, 68, 1947-1960.
- Landguth EL, Schwartz MK (2014) Evaluating sample allocation and effort in detecting population differentiation for discrete and continuously distributed individuals. Conservation Genetics, 15, 981-992.
- Cushman SA, Lewis J, Landguth EL (2014) Why did the bear cross the road? Comparing performance of multiple resistance surfaces and connectivity modeling methods. Diversity, 6, 844-854.
- Landguth EL, Muhlfeld CC, Waples, RS, Jones L, Lowe WH, Lucotch J, Neville H, Luikart G (2014) Combining demographic and genetic factors to map population vulnerability in stream species. Ecological Applications. 24, 1505–1524.
- Hand BK, Landguth EL, Cushman SA (2014) Assessing multi-taxa sensitivity to the human footprint, habitat fragmentation and loss by exploring alternative scenarios of dispersal ability and population size. Biodiversity and Conservation. 10.1007/s10531-014-0747-x.
- Beheregaray LB, Landguth EL, Cooke GM (2014) Ecological Speciation in the Tropics: Insights from Comparative Phylogeography and Landscape Genetics of Amazonian Fishes. Frontiers in Genetics. Research topic "Origin of tropical diversity: from clades to communities" 10.3389/fgene.2014.00477.
- Jones MR, Forester BR, Teufel AI, Adams RV, Anstett DN, Goodrich BA, Joost S, Manel S, Landguth EL (2014) Integrating spatially-explicit approaches to detect adaptive loci in a landscape genomics context. Evolution (Special Issue: Evolutionary Landscape Genetics), 67, 3455-3468.
- Wasserman T, Cushman SA, Littel JS, Shirk AJ, Landguth EL (2013) Population connectivity and genetic diversity of American marten (Marets americana) in the United States northern Rocky Mountains in a climate change context. Conservation Genetics, 14, 529-541.
- Cushman SA, Shirk AJ, Landguth EL (2013) Landscape genetics and limiting factors. Landscape Ecology, 14, 263-274.
- Oyler-McCance SJ, Fedy BC, Landguth EL (2013) Sample design effects in landscape genetics. Conservation Genetics, 14, 275–285.
- Cushman, SA, Landguth EL (2013) Evaluating Population Connectivity for Species of Conservation Concern in the American Great Plains. Biodiversity and Conservation, DOI: 10.1007/s10531-013-0541-1.
- Cushman, SA, Wasserman TN, Landguth EL, Shirk A (2013) Re-evaluating casual modeling with Mantel tests in landscape genetics. Diversity, 5, 51-72.
- Hand BK, Chen S, Anderson N, Beja-Pereira A, Cross PC, Ebinger M, Edwards H, Garrott RA, Kardos M, Kauffman M, Landguth EL, Middleton A, Schwartz M, Scurlock B, White PJ, Zager P, Luikart G (2013) Limited maternal gene flow among elk herds in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem revealed by mtDNA. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management. 19, 1-4.
- Cushman SA, Lewis JS, Landguth EL (2013) Evaluating the intersection of a regional wildlife connectivity network with highways. Movement Ecology, doi:10.1186/2051-3933-1-12
- Blair C, Weigel DE, Balazik M, Keeley ATH, Walker FM, Landguth EL, Cushman S, Murphy M, Waits L, Balkenhol N (2012) A simulation-based evaluation of methods for inferring linear barriers to gene flow. Molecular Ecology Resources, 12, 822-833.
- Landguth EL, Cushman SA, Johnson NA (2012) Simulating natural selection in landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology Resources, 12, 363-368.
- Cushman SA, Shirk AS, Landguth EL (2012) Separating the effects of habitat area fragmentation and matrix resistance on genetic differentiation in complex landscapes. Landscape Ecology, 27, 369-380.
- Graves TA, Wasserman TN, Ribeiro M, Landguth EL, Spear SF, Balkenhol N, Higgins CB, Fortin M-J, Cushman SA, Waits LP (2012) The influence of landscape characteristics and home-range size on the quantification of landscape-genetics relationships. Landscape Ecology, 27, 253-266.
- Muhlfeld CC, D'Angelo V, Kalinowski ST, Landguth EL, Downs CC, Tohtz J, Kershner JL (2012) A fine-scale assessment of using barriers to conserve native stream salmonids: A case study in Akokala Creek, Glacier National Park, USA. The Open Fish Science Journal, 5, 9-20.
- Landguth EL, Fedy B, Garey A, Mumma M, Emel S, Oyler-McCance S, Cushman SA, Wagner HH, Fortin MJ (2012) Effects of sample size, number of markers, and allelic richness on the detection of spatial genetic pattern. Molecular Ecology Resources, 12, 276-284.
- Landguth EL, Hand BK, Glassy JM, Cushman SA, Sawaya M (2012) UNICOR: a species corridor and connectivity network simulator. Ecography, 12, 9-14.
- Landguth EL, Muhlfeld CC, Luikart G (2012) CDFISH: an individual-based, spatially-explicit, landscape genetics simulator for aquatic species in complex riverscapes. Conservation Genetics Resources, 4, 133-136.
- Cushman SA, Landguth EL (2012) Multi-taxa population connectivity in the Northern Rocky Mountains. Ecological Modelling, 231, 101-112.
- Shirk AS, Cushman SA, Landguth EL (2012) Simulating pattern-process relationships to validate landscape genetic models. International J. Ecology, doi:10.1155/2012/539109.
- Landguth EL, Balkenhol N (2012) Relative sensitivity of neutral versus adaptive genetic data for assessing population differentiation. Conservation Genetics, 13, 1421-1426.
- Short Bull R, Cushman SA, Mace R, Chilton T, Kendall K, Landguth EL, Schwartz MK, McKelvey K, Allendorf FW, Luikart G (2011) Why replication is important in landscape genetics: case of the American black bear in the Rocky Mountains. Molecular Ecology, 20, 1092-1107.
- Balkenhol N, Landguth EL (2011) Simulation modeling in landscape genetics: on the need to go further, Molecular Ecology, 20, 667-670.
- Wasserman TN, Cushman SA, Shirk AS, Landguth EL, Littel JS (2011) Simulating the effects of climate change on population connectivity of American marten (Martes americana) in the northern Rocky Mountains, USA. Landscape Ecology, doi:10.1007/s1098001196538.
- Landguth EL, Cushman SA, Schwartz MK, Murphy M, McKelvey KS, Luikart G (2010) Quantifying the lag time to detect barriers in landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology, 19, 4179-4191.
- Landguth EL, Cushman SA, Murphy M, Luikart G (2010) Relationships between migration rates and landscape resistance assessed using individual-based simulations. Molecular Ecology Resources (Special Issue: Methodological Advances – Inference of Spatial Structure), 10, 854-862.
- Cushman SA, Landguth EL (2010) Spurious correlations and inferences in landscape genetics. Molecular Ecology, 19, 3592-3602.
- Cushman SA, Landguth EL (2010) Scaling landscape genetics. Landscape Ecology, 25, 967 -979
- Landguth EL, Cushman SA (2010) CDPOP: a spatially explicit cost distance population genetics program. Molecular Ecology Resources, 10, 156-161.