Registering for WRIT 201

Before the Semester Begins:

I´ve received a "PreReq and Test Score Error" when I tried to register for WRIT 201 in Cyberbear but have taken the ACT/SAT/MUSWA Writing tests. How can I register for this course?

Often, when students take the ACT or SAT multiple times, they do not take the writing portion more than once. The latest scores, typically with the higher composite score will be sent to UM without the writing scores from the first test. Students may fax unofficial high school transcripts showing all of their scores and especially their writing scores to the English Department (406-243-2556) or call the English Advisor (406–243–6976) to arrange a time to log into ACT or SAT online to view the writing score to receive a tentative placement. Students should then contact the Admissions Office (406–243–6266) to have the writing portions of their ACT/SAT/MUSWA entered officially.

If a student has not taken the ACT or SAT more than once and is quite certain that he or she took the writing portion of that exam, he or she should contact the Admissions Office (406–243–6266) to ensure that the scores have been received.

I´ve received a "PreReq and Test Score Error" when I tried to register for WRIT 201 and have not taken the ACT/SAT/MUSWA Writing tests; how can I register for this course?

If a student does not have these scores but has taken WRIT 201´s prerequisite, WRIT 101, he or she should contact the English Advisor (406–243–6976) to provide proof of successful course completion and to receive an updated placement. The Admissions Office (406–243–6266) evaluates previous coursework for WRIT 101/095 equivalency and enters those equivalents into the computer system; however, the English Advisor can provide preliminary placement pending the more formal assessment.

If a student has neither previous developmental coursework nor the appropriate test scores, he or she must take the composition placement test at the soonest designated date. These exam dates typically occur during orientation and once during each semester. Please contact the English Advisor (406–243–6976) for details.

In the first week of the semester:

I receive a "C/I (consent of instructor) Error" when I try to register for an open section on Cyberbear. What´s wrong with my registration?

On the third day of the semester, all sections of WRIT close to online registration. WRIT classes firmly follow UM´s catalog policy outlined below:

Class Attendance/Absence Policy
Students who are registered for a course but do not attend the first two class meetings may be required by the instructor to drop the course. This rule allows for early identification of class vacancies to permit other students to add classes. Students not allowed to remain must complete a drop form or drop the course on Cyberbear to avoid receiving a failing grade. Students who know they will be absent should contact the instructor in advance.

On the second instructional day of a WRIT course (Wednesday for a MWF class, Thursday for a TR class), instructors will begin working with their waitlists and adding those students who have been attending class into the spaces made available by those students who have been absent. Because of this system, a class that appears closed on Cyberbear may have openings based on students´ absences and a class that seems to have openings may actually be filled by the students on the instructor´s waiting list. In order to give priority to waitlisted students, other students cannot add into a section of WRIT 201 without attending class, speaking with an instructor and getting an override from the English Advisor.

All sections of WRIT 201 are full, what can I do?

The best way to get into a WRIT 201 course outside of registering during priority registration is to attend as many sections as possible to get on a waiting list. At the second class meeting, the instructor will begin adding students from the waitlist to fill vacancies left by students who have missed the first two instructional days. UM offers WRIT 201 every semester; if you cannot get a class in the current semester, make plans to take the course in a future semester.

Completing WRIT 201

What grade to I need to pass WRIT 201?

Students matriculating Fall 2005 through Fall 2009 must receive a C or better in WRIT 201 in order to earn credit. Students matriculating Fall 2009 or after may earn credit for a C– or better.

What general education requirements does WRIT 201 fulfill?

WRIT 201 fulfills the expectations of "one English composition course" and the lower division writing course in UM´s general education requirements for all students. For students matriculating Fall 2009 or after, this requirement appears in group 1, section A and group 1, section B. For students matriculating prior to Fall 2009, this requirement appears in part A and part B under "Writing Skills." Though the course fulfills two requirements and occupies two lines on UM´s general education requirement worksheet, please note that a student will only receive 3 credits for the course.