How to Apply
To be considered for admittance to the M.A. Literature Program beginning in the following Fall semester, applications must be complete and received by the English Department by January 6 of that year. The M.A. Literature Program does not offer admission for study beginning in the Spring or Summer semesters.
The University of Montana M.A. Literature program uses a two-step application process, available October 1- January 6. Admission is for Fall the following year.
The first step is to apply to the University of Montana Graduate School, and submit a $60 fee.
The second step is to apply to the M.A. Literature program. The Department of English only accepts applications completed on Submittable, which include:
- an application form filled out on Submittable
- a CV or resume that includes a list of any relevant awards, honors or publications
- a goal statement: a 100-300 word essay describing your personal goals for graduate study; may include current interests, projects, and literary influences
- official transcripts (sent directly from each University you've attended) will need to be submitted electronically to the University of Montana Graduate Admissions by the application deadline of January 6th. Official transcripts may also be mailed directly from the institution to:
Attn: Leisa Greene
U of M Department of English
Liberal Arts 133
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812
- at least 3 confidential references for letters of recommendation with current email addresses. (The people recommending you will be contacted by the University of Montana via email and must respond within two weeks.)
- You may use Interfolio for your transcripts and letters of recommendation. Please have Interfolio email the file to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- an appropriate writing sample (or two) of at least ten pages (but not exceeding twenty) of expository writing (i.e. critical essay, term paper, research paper, etc.). An essay from an English course is preferred, but not necessary. We are looking for a strong piece of critical writing. If applying for a Teaching Assistantship, this essay will fill the expository essay requirement.
- OPTIONAL: if you wish to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship position, please check the appropriate box on your Submittable online application form.
For information on the M.A. Literature Program, contact:
Dr. Eric Reimer
M.A. Literature Chair
Department of English
The University of Montana
Missoula, Montana 59812-6120