Office: Stone Hall 212
Phone: (406) 243-6478
Fax: (406) 243-4840
One of our departmental three pillars is in Mountain Geography. We are interested in the scientific understanding of mountain environments in spatial context and with attention to the physical and human systems. Regional foci are the Rocky Mountains in the U.S.A., and the Altai, Hindu Kush-Karakoram-Himalaya, Pamir, and Tien Shan mountains in "High Asia." Specializations are in paleo-environments, environmental change, glaciers, periglacial, geomorphology, environmental rehabilitation, environmental hazards and vulnerability, and water resources.
Minor in Mountain Studies
Our department coordinates the only interdisciplinary Minor in Mountain Studies at the university level in the U.S.A. For more information, see the Mountain Studies Minor page.
- Altai (Mongolia)
- Atlas Mountains, Morocco
- Hindu Kush-Himalaya-Karakoram (Afghanistan, Bhutan, India, Nepal and Pakistan
- Pamirs and Tien Shan (Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan)
- Rocky Mountains (U.S.A.)
Student Research Opportunities
Our students actively participate in our faculty's research projects, and several of them joined faculty members on field campaigns to moutains in the U.S.A. and in Asia.
In our research and outreach activities we collaborate with numerous national and international partners, for example:
- Blackfoot Challenge, U.S.A.
- Brigham Young University, U.S.A.
- Canadian Mountain Studies Initiative, University of Alberta, Canada
- Centre of the Study of Regional Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) - Glacier Model Intercomparison Project (GlacierMIP)
- Crown of the Continent Roundtable, U.S.A.
- Crown of the Continent Learning Center, U.S.A.
- Department of Geography, Kumaun University, India
- Department of Geography, National University of Mongolia, Mongolia
- Department of Geography, University of the Andes - Trujillo, Venezuela
- Department of Geography, University of Zurich, Switzerland
- Department of Geology, University of Cincinnati, U.S.A.
- Global Land Ice Measurements fro Space (GLIMS) Initiative
- Glacier National Park, U.S.A.
- Greater Yellowstone Coalition, U.S.A.
- Karakoram International University, Pakistan
- Montana Institute on Ecosystems, U.S.A.
- Montana Wilderness Association, U.S.A.
- Mountain Geography Specialty Group (MGSG), Association of American Geographers (AAG), U.S.A.
- National Centre of Excellence in Geology (NCEG), University of Peshawar, Pakistan
- Naturalist Center, U.S.A.
- Nature Conservancy of Montana, U.S.A.
- NOAA Great Falls, U.S.A.
- PTAA Glacier Mass Balance Project (PTTAGMB-Project)
- South Asia Institute, University of Heidelberg, Germany
- USGS Northern Rocky Mountain Science Center, U.S.A.
- Wilderness Society, U.S.A.
- World Bank
- Yellowstone Association, U.S.A.
- Yellowstone Park Foundation, U.S.A.
American Association of Geographers - Mountain Geography Specialty Group
Please check out the American Association of Geographers' webpage for mountain enthusiasts. The annual membership fee is only $10 for regular members and $3 for students!