UM Geosciences Graduate Program Application Instructions
Application Procedures & Materials
Fall Application deadline:
Electronic Application via the Graduate School Web Page: Received by January 17 for beginning the following fall semester.
- Instructions for applying to the Graduate School are in the Applying for Admission section on the Graduate School web site.
- To start the application process select “Apply Online” in the left panel of the page. Fill in all the information required. You can save the form and come back to finish items for which you do not have information.
- The Geosciences Department requires three letters of recommendation. We prefer that the reviewer sends letters electronically by selecting that option on the Graduate School web site. Alternatively, we accept letters sent directly to the Department at this address:
Geosciences Department-Graduate Applications The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive #1296
Missoula, MT 59812-1296.
Or e-mailed to (email@example.com).
- Two other items are required by the department:
- A statement of purpose (~300 words) describing your background and future goals.
- Form A (please print and fill out this form)
These can be uploaded as one combined document on the Graduate School online application site section entitled “Resume Upload”. Make sure you have all both the statement and Form A combined into one document. These can also be sent in your “additional application materials packet” directly to the Department (above address).
Program Requirements for Admission
- Incoming graduate students with geosciences degrees are expected to have a strong background in math and science that typically includes a year each of calculus, physics and chemistry at the college level. However, at the discretion of the Graduate Admissions Committee, course deficiencies may be satisfied during the student's first year. Students with undergraduate degrees in other sciences can construct a remedial course schedule in geosciences pertinent to their research interests.
- The department requires all graduate applicants to have made prior contact with a prospective advisor or to indicate with whom they want to work.
- GRE scores with a test date that is within the past five years OR verifiable GRE scores if the test date is older than five years.
Assistantship Application and Deadline
The application deadline for assistantships for Fall semester is January 17. Those wishing to start during the spring semester may apply at any time but should contact the Department Chair before applying and requesting a TA; it is extremely rare that TAs are available for the Spring Semester.
- See information in the International Admission section on the graduate school web site.