Ways to Support Philanthropy in your Department
- Engage outstanding alumni and donors with your students and programs:
- H&S Returning and Community Scholars Program
- Encourage alumni to facilitate internships or career opportunities
- Invite alumni and donors to department events - scholarship or awards events, open houses, anniversary events, etc.
- Encourage alumni to update their contact information (UMAA weblink)
- Use social media to share timely news and activities
- Send timely thank you notes to alumni and friends who contribute to your department
- Keep you "Make a Gift" webpage and any special funding priorities current on your department's webpage
- Include an appeal for support in your newsletters
- Regularly review departmental alumni lists with your faculty (Coordinate individual requests with the College DEvelopment staff.)
- Share prospects with H&S Development team
- Participate in campus visits and follow-up with prospective supporters provided by H&S Development team
- Provide H&S Development team with top philanthropic priorities for your department
What are Development Fees?
- Fees help support gift administration, endowment management and donor stewardship and all other aspects of the University's fundraising efforts.
- Fees are not charged on non-endowed scholarship gifts.
- At present, a 2.25% per annum administrative fee is charged on endowment funds. A one-time 6% development fee is assessed on all non-endowed, non-scholarship gifts and all bequest gifts have a one-time 10% development fee. Phonathon gifts have a one-time 15% development fee assessed.
Can donors give to the College or Departments directly?
University policy requires that all gifts and contributions be directed to the UM Foundation. The Foundation is a 501c3 allowing contributions to qualify as charitable deductions for tax purposes.
What do I need to know before launching a departmental fundraising event or writing a grant to a private foundation?
The H&S Development team is willing and able to help departments: develop fundraising strategies; identify prospects; and coordinate fund development throughout the University. Keep in mind that departmental fundraising events or appeals must:
- Be reviewed and approved by the Department Chair and Dean
- Corporate and Private Foundation requests must be coordinated with the UM Foundation, Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Individual Prospects are reviewed by H&S Development team