The Heart & Soul of UM
The mission of the College of Humanities and Sciences is to pursue academic excellence by providing unique educational experiences through integration of the liberal arts, graduate study, and professional training with international and interdisciplinary emphases.
As the intellectual core of the University of Montana, we fulfill the central purpose for which the University was chartered in 1893 by providing a liberal education and integrated knowledge of the humanities and the sciences. In doing so, we promote:
- the transformative power of education, in which knowledge and understanding is created through active learning, research and creative scholarship;
- intellectual and human diversity, so that respect for different points of view is encouraged and students, faculty, and staff realize their full potential;
- global perspective and engagement;
- a safe and respectful learning and workplace environment; and
- a sustainable future for our local, state, and global communities.