Soazig Le Bihan
Prof. of Philosophy and Director of the Prelaw ProgramEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office: LA 153
- Fridays, 8AM-12:30PM and 2:30-5PM -- Please schedule an appointment on Starfish.
- Walk-In Hours: Fridays 5-5:30PM.
- Please feel free to contact me if you need an appointment outside of office hours.
Professor of Philosophy and Director of the Prelaw Program
PHL 110E Introduction to Engaged Ethics (online, service component)
PHL 262Y Modern Philosophy
PHL 317E Law and Morality
PHL 318 Applied Logic (LSAT Preparation Course)
PHL 507 Philosophical Foundations of Ecology
PHL502 Philosophy of Law
HONR 391 Pre-Law Seminar
- Ph.D. Philosophy: University of Nancy and Bielefeld University
- Ecole Normale Supérieure Alumna
- B.S. Fundamental Physics: University of Paris VI, Jussieu.
- DEA, Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris IV
- Maitrise, Philosophy, Université Nanterre -- Paris X
- B.A. Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris I
Field of Study
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of physics
- Philosophy of ecology
- Philosophy of law
- (under review) Understanding Theoretical Ecological Models
- (under review) "No Quantum Threat to Special Relativity"
- (forthcoming) Elgin on Understanding: Non-factivity v. Epistemic Access
- (2017) "Epistemically Detrimental Dissent: Contingent Enabling Factors vs Stable Different Makers." Philosophy of Science (with Iheanyi Amadi)
- (2017) "Enlightening Falsehood: A modal view of scientific understanding." In Exî€€plaining Understanding: Perspectives From Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, ed. by Grimm, Stephen R., Christoph Baumberger, and Sabine Ammon, Routledge.
- (2014), “How Understanding Matters – Or not”. in Probing the Meaning of Quantum Mechanics: Physical, Philosophical, Mathematical, and Logical Perspectives, ed. by C. de Ronde, S. Aerts, D. Aerts, World Scientific. pp. 127-42
- (2013) Précis de Philosophie de la Physique, Vuibert.
- (2011) "Defending the Semantic View: What it Takes," European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 2(3) (2011): 249-274.
- (2009) "Fine's Ways to Fail to Secure Local Realism," Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 40(2) (2009): 142-150.
Soazig Le Bihan has a double Ph.D. from the University of Bielefeld (Germany), 2008 and the University of Nancy (France). She joined the department in the Fall of 2008 as a philosopher of science specializing in the philosophy of quantum physics. She has since taken particular interest in the budding field of philosophy of the science of ecology. Philosophy of the science of ecology is one of the few relatively untouched areas of philosophy of science. It presents a great challenge to philosophers of science as traditional conceptions of topics such as scientific explanation, laws of nature, scientific theories, and scientific understanding, which have been developed by reflecting primarily on physics, simply don't do justice to the science of ecology. Starting spring 2012, she will be teaching a seminar on the philosophy of the science of ecology.