Social Sciences 213
Associate ProfessorOffice: ED 211A
When I'm not on campus, you can usually find me around Missoula, enjoying one of the many community events or out to eat with friends. DIY projects have become a new addition to my schedule, but still focusing on finding time to hike, camp, swim, read (...and watch movies...and Netflix series), Skype with family and friends, and travel to new (and favorite) places. I've enjoyed all Montana has to offer and hope to continue traveling in the U.S. and abroad - hopefully back to Ethiopia and Turkey soon and maybe exploring Bhutan in connection with our department partnership!
- Ph.D., Counselor Education and Supervision, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- M.Ed., School Counseling, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC
- M.A., Education – History and Social Sciences Education, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- B.S., History, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
School mental health, school counseling, cultural approaches to wellness (health and healing), international collaboration, career development, grief and loss/chronic illness, positive youth development
- Improving Educator's Understanding of Children's Mental Health
- Ethiopian perspectives of mental health and the role of counseling
- Using international immersion experiences to build cultural and counseling awareness
Nichols, L. M. (2015). The Use of Mind-Body Practices in Counseling: A Grounded Theory Study. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 37, 28-46.
LaFont, S., & Nichols, L. M. (2014). Moving along your career path. In S. Degges-White & B. Colon (Eds.), Expressive Arts Interventions for School Counselors. Springer Publishing.
Mellin, E. A. & Nichols, L. M. (2013). Divorce and Children. In R. Balkin, C. Chang, V. Kress, S. Niles, & J. Watson’s (Eds.), American Counseling Association Practice Briefs.
Nichols, L. M., & Carney, J. V. (2013) Jane Myers: Evolution of an advocate. Journal of Counseling & Development, 91, 240-248. doi: 10.1002/j.1556-6676.2013.00091.x Mellin, E., Hunt, B., &
Nichols, L. M. (2012). College access. In Byrd, R. & Erford, B. T. (Eds.), Applying Techniques to Common Encounters in School Counseling: A Case-Based Approach. San Francisco, CA: Pearson.
Mellin, E., Hunt, B., & â€‹Nichols, L. M. (2011). Counselor professional identity: Findings and implications for counseling and interprofessional collaboration. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89, 140-147.
Nichols, L. M. & Hunt, B. (2011). The significance of spirituality for individuals with chronic illness: Implications for mental health counseling. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 33, 51-66.