Requirements for the Minor
The minor in Irish Studies will require the successful completion of at least six courses (18 credits), including four courses in the core area.
At least 18 credits, including twelve credits from the required core courses (4 classes) and six credits from the elective courses (2 classes).
Irish language, history, literature, and culture. The core courses are a required cluster of twelve credits (4 classes) for all students pursuing the minor.
- IRSH 101 Irish Language Studies: Irish I 3 credits†
- IRSH 102 Irish Language Studies: Irish II 3 credits*
- IRSH 249 The Irish and Irish-Americans 3 credits
- IRSH 345 Literature in the Irish Language**
- IRSH 360 Irish and/or Northern Irish Literature 3 credits
- IRSH 380/391 Topics in Irish Literature and Culture
†Course cross-listed with MCLL and ENG
*By completing an extra semester of Irish (i.e., by adding IRSH 103), students may use this coursework to satisfy their General Education language/symbolic systems requirement.
** Fulfills General Education Requirements
Students will complete at least six credits (2 classes) from the following courses:
- DANC 160 Dance Forms: Irish 2 credits
- DANC 195 Irish Dance 2 credits
- DRAM 321 Irish Theatre: From Yeats to McDonagh 3 credits
- DRAM 395 Irish Drama 3 credits
- HONR 391 History and Culture of Ireland 2 credits
- HONR 393 History and Culture Winter Session Study Abroad in Ireland 1-3 credits
- IRSH 103 Irish Language Studies: Irish III 3 credits
- IRSH 249/HSTR 250 The Irish and Irish Americans 3 credits
- IRSH 321/LIT 331 Studies in a Major Author: James Joyce 3 credits
- IRSH 325/LIT 376 Poetry and Partition 3 credits
- IRSH 345 Literature in the Irish Language 3 credits
- IRSH 380 Topics in Irish Studies 3 credits
- IRSH 391 Special Topics in Irish Studies 3 credits
- IRSH/LIT 430 Multicultural British Literature 3 credits
- LIT 431 Senior Seminar: James Joyce 3 credits
- MUSI 134 Traditional Music of Ireland** 3 credits