Liberal Arts 41
Your New Site: Things to Know
Please complete the Cascade Training video series.
All users editing websites are expected to complete this training and have a basic understanding of Cascade.
Your site (and everything on it - documents, video, etc.) MUST meet accessibility standards. This is a legal issue.
Please follow all accessibility standards.
Project Ponderosa contains helpful documentation and information about the Cascade cms and Ponderosa web template (components, plugins, and stories configuration), UM branding (offcial colors), and accessibility.
Please do not make changes in the _cms and _css folders, or in System or Outputs areas in Cascade unless you have been trained to do so. Changes to these areas can break your site!
- Instead of: Smith_Performing_at_the_theater_image.jpg
- Use: smith.jpg
- smith-article.doc (doc file)
- group-2014.jpg (image file)
- grad-program (folder or page)
- studyabroad (folder or page)
- bugs-fall17 (Story)
Spaces in names will render as "%20" in URLs. Using the naming conventions outlined above will avoid this.
Resulting URL Example:
Aim for: http://www.hs.umt.edu/department/grad-programs/summer-institue
Please resize images before uploading them to the Cascade content management system. If you do not have access to Photoshop or a similar tool, you can resize images in Cacade. Please take the time to do so.
Large images slow load times, and UM IT runs scans for such images.
72 - 150 ppi/dpi
- Stories: A good size for story images is 600 pixels wide x 400 pixels high. This works well both in the story box and on the story page. Consistent image size works best for the look of the stories on the site.
- Other images: A longest dimension of 600 pixels should work for most images on the pages of your site. You can always use smaller images, but it is not necessary to make images small for the web.
- Featured Image (Home Page): If full width, this image must be 1200 pixels wide. A recommended height is around 350-400 pixels.
Your site has been set up with folder for images and documents.
To keep your site well organized, upload images and documents into the appropriate folders.
You are welcome to make subfolders as needed. Delete the default pages in these subfolders and check "No" to the "Include in Navigation?".