Professor of Mathematics, Dept of Mathematical Sciences
I am a Professor of Mathematics in the Dept. of Mathematical Sciences and occasionally contribute in the Dept. of Central and Southwest Asian Studies. I teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate mathematics courses, and maintain interest in courses in Indo-Iranian studies.
For more biographical details visit:
University of Montana 2008 President's Report
Ph.D in Mathematical Sciences, Northern Illinois University, May 2002.
M.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), Northern Illinois University, August 1999
B.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), University of Alaska-Fairbanks, December 1995
Montana Educators License [Class 2, Endorsement: Mathematics] 2004-current
Illinois Type 09 (Grades 6-12) certification in mathematics: 2000-2004.
St.Michael's School, Bombay, India: 1976-1987
Creativity; Learning Sciences; Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education; Epistemology; Encyclopaedism
1. Editor, Handbook of the Mathematics of the Arts and Sciences (in development with Springer Nature)
This Handook currently in development covers Mathematics in relation to Architecture; Biology; Cosmology and Navigation; Aesthetics; Society; Geometry and Art; Paradoxes and Complex systems. It also investigates pure mathematics' connections to Art and Science. The goal of this Handbook is to become an authoritative source with chapters that show the origins, unification, and points of similarity between mathematics and different (emerging) disciplines. Some chapters will also show bifurcations and the development of disciplines which take on a life of their own. Science and Art are used as umbrella terms to encompass the physical, natural and geological sciences, as well as the visual and performing arts.
2a. Inquiry-based teaching units in mathematics teacher education programs in Arctic Norway- Fulbright Specialist- University of Tromso, Norway [June 2017]
2b. Epistemology of Mathematics Education (Training doctoral students who are developing their research in mathematics education with an emphasis on Foundations)- Fulbright Specialist- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Colombia [June 2015]
(The second edition is currently in progress and is meant to update the first print edition of this Encyclopedia which was published in June 2014. )
Field of Study
I have a wide range of research interests: Creativity; Learning Sciences (Cognition in particular); Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education (Schools, Comparative studies); Epistemology; Philosophy of Mathematics (e.g., Realism and Pluralism).
I am also an amateur philologist as well as dabble in Encyclopaedism.
Selected Books (since 2010)
- Sriraman,B., & L. English (2010), Theories of Mathematics Education: Seeking New Frontiers, Springer Science & Business.
- Ambrose.D., Sternberg.R , Sriraman, B. (2012) . Confronting Dogmatism in Gifted Education. Routledge.
- Sriraman, B., Ambrose, D., Cross, T. (2014). The Roeper School - A Model for Holistic Talent Development. Sense Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Chernoff, E.J & Sriraman, B. (2014) Probabilistic Thinking: Presenting Plural Perspectives Springer, Berlin.
- Ambrose, D., Sriraman, B., Pierce, K. (2014). A Critique of Creativity and Complexity: Deconstructing Cliches. Sense Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Huaman-Sumida, L., & Sriraman, B. (2015). Indigenous innovations: Universalities and peculiarities. Sense Publishers, Rotterdam.
- Leikin, R., & Sriraman, B. (2017). Creativity and Giftedness: Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Mathematics and Beyond. Springer Switzerland.
- Beghetto, R., & Sriraman, B. (2017). Creative Contradictions in Education: Cross Disciplinary Paradoxes and Perspectives. Springer Switzerland.
- Sriraman,B. (2017). Humanizing Mathematics and its Philosophy, Birkhauser, Basel
For a full list of books visit my Amazon page
Selected Journal Articles and Handbook Chapters (since 2011)
Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2011). Conjecturing via reconceived classical analogy. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol. 76, no.2,pp.123-140.
Lee, K.H & Sriraman, B (2012). Gifted girls and non-mathematical aspirations: A longitudinal case study of two gifted Korean girls. Gifted Child Quarterly, vol. 56, no.1, pp. 3-14.
Van Harpen, X.Y., & Sriraman, B (2013). Creativity and mathematical problem posing: an analysis of high school students' mathematical problem posing in China and the USA. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol.82,no.2,pp. 201-221.
Sriraman, B; Haavold, P., & Lee, K (2013). Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness: A Commentary on and Review of Theory, New Operational Views and Ways Forward. ZDM - The International Journal on Mathematics Education. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s11858-013-0494-6.
Job, J., & Sriraman, B. (2013). A Framework for Quality Assurance in Globalization of Higher Education: A View Toward the Future.Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780-013-9186-y.
Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2013). An Eastern Learning Paradox: Paradoxes in Two Korean Mathematics Teachers' Pedagogy of Silence in the Classroom. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780- 013-9190-2
Sriraman, B. & Nardi, Elena (2013) . Theories in Mathematics Education: Some developments and ways forward. In M.A. (Ken) Clements et al. (eds.), Third International Handbook of Mathematics Education, Springer International Handbooks of Education 27, pp. 303-325. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-4684-2_10, Springer Science & Business Media, New York.
Sriraman, B., & Juter, K (2013). The interfaces of innovation in mathematics and the arts. In L. Shavinina (Ed). International Handbook on Innovation Education (pp.330-340) Routledge, Taylor & Francis
Chernoff, E.J & Sriraman, B.(2015). The teaching and learning of probabilistic thinking. In J.Kaufman et al (Eds). The Routledge international handbook of Research on Teaching Thinking. Routledge, pp.369-377.
Job, J., & Sriraman, B. (2015). The Concept of Teacher-Student/Student-Teacher in Higher Education Trends. Interchange : A Quarterly Review of Education, vol.46,no.3, pp.215-223
Sriraman, B., & Haavold, P. (2017). Creativity and giftedness in mathematics education: A pragmatic view. In J. Cai (Ed). First Compendium for Research in Mathematics Education, NCTM, Reston,VA
Sriraman, B., & Dickman, B. (2017). Mathematical pathologies as pathways into creativity. ZDM Mathematics Education
Sriraman, B. (2017). Organic creativity and the Faustian Bargain: Reconciling Opposites. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education
Sriraman,B. (2017). Dimensions of mathematical thinking and learning in ACCEL. Roeper Review, vol.39, no.3, 206-209.
Sriraman,B., & Haavold, P. (2018). Reconciling the realist/anti realist dichotomy in the philosophy of mathematics. In S.Wuppuluri and F. Doria (Eds). Map and Territory, exploring the foundations of science, thought and reality (pp.377-388). The Frontiers Collection. Springer
For a full list please visit my Google Scholar page http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=YnPG9YoAAAAJ&hl=en
Preprints of papers are found here: http://hs.umt.edu/math/research/technical-reports/default.php
2017 Fulbright Specialist at University of Tromso, Norway [June 2017]
2014 Fulbright Specialist in Mathematics Education (First Assignment- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Colombia 2015)
2007 School Science and Mathematics Association Early Scholar Award
2006,2007 Nominated for the NAGC Early Scholar Award
2002 NAGC Research Brief of the Year Award
High School Teacher, 2000-2002, Ottawa Township High School, Illinois
Middle School Student Teacher, 1999-2000, Huntley Middle School, DeKalb, Illinois
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 1996-2000, Northern Illinois University
In academia since 2002...
Merchant Marine, 1989-1992
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany; Jan 2005
- University of Hamburg, December/January 2006 & January 2007 [one week]
- University of Southern Denmark, January 2006 [one week]
- University of Cyprus, February 2006, April 2007, May 2008 [one week each]
- University of Moncton, New Brunswick, April 2006 [one week]
- University of Athens and University of Cyprus; August 2006 [two weeks]
- Iceland Univ. of Education, October 2006,
- University of Iceland, March 2007 and Feb 2008 [one week each, Two visits for data collection in Northern Iceland]
- Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey, June 2007 & July 2008 [1.5 weeks each]
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia, July 2005; April 2008 [one week]
- Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey May/June 2009
- Iran University of Science and Technology August 2009
- University of Duisburg-Essen, September 2009
- University of Agder, Norway October 2009
- University of Tromso, Norway January-February 2010
- Umea University, Sweden, March 2010
- University of Aarhus, Denmark March 2010
- University of Agder, Norway May 2010
- University of Stavanger, Norway May 2010
- University of Agder, October 2010
- University of Oslo, October 2010
- Seoul National University, November 2010
- University of Saskatchewan, January 2011
- University of Iceland, May 2011
- University of Tromso, Norway November 2011
- Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina, April 2012
- University Sainsi- Penang, Malaysia, December 2012
- University of Iceland, March 2013
- Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon- Turkey, June 2013
- Ahi Evran Üniversitesi, Kirshehir- Turkey, June-July 2013
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa, Sept. 2013
- University of Tromso, Norway, December 2013
- University of Iceland, March 2014
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, June 2014
- University of Iceland, November 2014 (1 week)
- University of Iceland, May 2015 (1 week)
- Universidad Antonio Narino, Colombia (February 2015; June 2015 as Fulbright Specialist)
- University of Haifa, Israel (June/July 2015)
- University of Iceland (March 2016) (1 week)
- University of Saskatchewan (June 2016) John Ranton McIntosh Visiting Scholar
- University Sains Malaysia (January 2017)
- University of Iceland (February 2017) (1 week)
- University of Tromso, Norway (June 2017, Fulbright Specialist)
- Stockholm University, Sweden (November 2017 as Dissertation Opponent)
- Seoul National University, South Korea (January 5-10, 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (June 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (August 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (November 2018)
LEADERSHIP/ORGANIZATIONAL ROLE IN RESEARCH SYMPOSIA AND FORUMS
1. Co-organizer of The First International Symposium on Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at University of Education, Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany, May 2005.
2. Co-organizer of Research Forum on Theories of Mathematics Education. 29th Annual meeting of International Group for Psychology in Mathematics Education (PME), Melbourne, Australia, July 2005.
3. Co-organizer of the Working Group on Modeling and Applications at the 5th Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME5), Larnaca, Cyprus Feb 21-27, 2007.
4. Co-organizer of the 2nd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Southern Denmark, Odense, [May 2007]
5. Organizer of Symposium “Mathematics/science pedagogy and its connections to science/math and the arts” 9th International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching Group (IHPST) 2007, University of Calgary, June 2007.
6. Co-organizer of Working Group on Data modeling at 13th International Community on Teaching Modeling & Applications (ICTMA 13).Bloomington, Indiana, July 22-26, 2007.
7. Participated in the 2007 Oberwolfach Symposium on Professional Development of Mathematics Teachers: Research and Practice from an International Perspective November11- 17, 2007, Oberwolfach, Germany [Invited by the International Program Committee consisting of members of the Deutsche-Mathematiker Vereinigung; Gesellschaft für Didaktik der Mathematik (GDM), and American Mathematical Society (AMS)]
8. Co-organizer of 3rd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Moncton, NB, Canada [May 2009] Symposium funded through SSHRC- Canada Grant [co-applicant with Viktor Freiman ]
9. Co-organizer (with Kyeong-Hwa Lee) Special Sessions on Creativity and Talent development in Mathematics. Joint Korea and American Mathematical Society meeting, Seoul Korea, Dec 16-20.2009.
10. Co-organizer of joint PIMS/DMV meeting at Banff International Research Center (Canada) ConferenceTeachers as Stakeholders in Mathematics Education Research (MER) held in December 2010
I hold an appointment as Adjunct Senior Research Scientist at the Kaput Center for Research and Innovation in STEM Education, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. In addition I edit a number of journals and different book series with Springer Nature and Sense Publishers.
Editor, The Mathematics Enthusiast [is independent, open-access and assigns copyright to authors]