Professor of Mathematics, Dept of Mathematical Sciences
Fall 2019- M133; M439
I am a Professor of Mathematics in the Dept. of Mathematical Sciences and occasionally contribute in the Dept. of Central and Southwest Asian Studies. I teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate mathematics courses, and maintain interest in Indo-Iranian studies.
For more biographical details visit:
University of Montana 2008 President's Report
- Ph.D in Mathematical Sciences, Northern Illinois University, May 2002.
- M.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), Northern Illinois University, August 1999
- B.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), University of Alaska-Fairbanks, December 1995
- Montana Educators License [Class 2, Endorsement: Mathematics] 2004-current
- Illinois Type 09 (Grades 6-12) certification in mathematics: 2000-2004.
- St.Michael's School, Bombay, India: 1976-1987
Creativity; Cognition; Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education; Philosophy; Encyclopaedism
1. Editor-in-Chief, Handbook of the History and Philosophy of Mathematical Practice (in development with Springer Major Reference Works); 2019-2024
The purpose of this unique Handbook is to unfold the transformation of the philosophy of mathematics from its origins in the history of mathematical practice. In order to do so, chapters will describe different mathematical practices in different time periods of history and contrast it with the development of philosophy. The contributions will include scholars from other disciplines who have contributed to the richness of perspectives that abound the study of philosophy today. The 14 sections of this Handbook aim to synthesize what is known, and what has unfolded but also offer directions in which the study of philosophy of mathematics as evident in increasingly diverse mathematical practices is headed. Different sections of the Handbook will offer insights into the origins, debates, methodologies and newer perspectives that characterize the discipline today. This Handbook is curated by an editorial advisory board and section editors consisting of leading scholars from the disciplines of mathematics, history and philosophy.
2. Editor-in-Chief, Handbook of the Mathematics of the Arts and Sciences (in development with Springer Nature); 2017- 2021
This state-of-the-art handbook consists of 7 parts and more than 100 chapters covering the fascinating interplay of mathematics, arts and sciences. The handbook covers Mathematics and Architecture; Mathematics, Science and Dynamical Systems; Mathematics, Art & Aesthetics; Mathematics, Humanites and Language Arts; Mathematics in Society; Mathematics, History and Philosophy; and New Directions. Science and Art are used as umbrella terms to encompass the physical, natural and geological sciences, as well as the visual and performing arts.
(The second edition is currently in press and updates the first print edition of this Encyclopedia which was published in June 2014. )
4. International Fulbright Specialist: 2013-2018
- a. Inquiry-based teaching units in mathematics teacher education programs in Arctic Norway- Fulbright Specialist- University of Tromso, Norway [June 2017]
- b. Foundations of Mathematics Education- Fulbright Specialist- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Colombia [June 2015]
Field of Study
I have a wide range of research interests: Creativity; Learning Sciences (Cognition in particular); Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education (Schools, Alternative education); Philosophy of Mathematics (Epistemology; Comparative Logics; Realism and Pluralism). ~~I am also an amateur philologist as well as dabble in Encyclopaedism.
Selected Books (since 2010)
- Sriraman,B., & L. English (2010), Theories of Mathematics Education: Seeking New Frontiers, Springer Berlin.
- Ambrose.D., Sternberg.R , Sriraman, B. (2012) . Confronting Dogmatism in Gifted Education. Routledge.
- Sriraman, B., Ambrose, D., Cross, T. (2014). The Roeper School - A Model for Holistic Talent Development. Brill Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Chernoff, E.J & Sriraman, B. (2014) Probabilistic Thinking: Presenting Plural Perspectives Springer, Berlin.
- Ambrose, D., Sriraman, B., Pierce, K. (2014). A Critique of Creativity and Complexity: Deconstructing Cliches. BrillPublishers, The Netherlands.
- Huaman-Sumida, L., & Sriraman, B. (2015). Indigenous innovations: Universalities and peculiarities. Brill Publishers, Rotterdam.
- Leikin, R., & Sriraman, B. (2017). Creativity and Giftedness: Interdisciplinary Perspectives from Mathematics and Beyond. Springer Switzerland.
- Beghetto, R., & Sriraman, B. (2017). Creative Contradictions in Education: Cross Disciplinary Paradoxes and Perspectives. Springer Switzerland.
- Sriraman,B. (2017). Humanizing Mathematics and its Philosophy, Birkhauser, Basel AMS Notices Review
- Chamberlin, S., & Sriraman, B. (2019). Affect in Mathematical Modeling, Springer Switzerland.
- Sriraman,B. (Ed) (Ongoing). Handbook of the Mathematics of the Arts and Sciences, Springer Major Reference Works
For a full list of books visit my Amazon page
Selected Journal Articles, Handbook Chapters & Book Chapters (since 2011)
- Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2011). Conjecturing via reconceived classical analogy. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol. 76, no.2,pp.123-140.
- Lee, K.H & Sriraman, B (2012). Gifted girls and non-mathematical aspirations: A longitudinal case study of two gifted Korean girls. Gifted Child Quarterly, vol. 56, no.1, pp. 3-14.
- Van Harpen, X.Y., & Sriraman, B (2013). Creativity and mathematical problem posing: an analysis of high school students' mathematical problem posing in China and the USA. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol.82,no.2,pp. 201-221.
- Sriraman, B; Haavold, P., & Lee, K (2013). Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness: A Commentary on and Review of Theory, New Operational Views and Ways Forward. ZDM - The International Journal on Mathematics Education. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s11858-013-0494-6.
- Job, J., & Sriraman, B. (2013). A Framework for Quality Assurance in Globalization of Higher Education: A View Toward the Future.Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780-013-9186-y.
- Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2013). An Eastern Learning Paradox: Paradoxes in Two Korean Mathematics Teachers' Pedagogy of Silence in the Classroom. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780- 013-9190-2
- Sriraman, B. & Nardi, Elena (2013) . Theories in Mathematics Education: Some developments and ways forward. In M.A. (Ken) Clements et al. (eds.), Third International Handbook of Mathematics Education, Springer International Handbooks of Education 27, pp. 303-325. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-4684-2_10, Springer Science & Business Media, New York.
- Sriraman, B., & Juter, K (2013). The interfaces of innovation in mathematics and the arts. In L. Shavinina (Ed). International Handbook on Innovation Education (pp.330-340) Routledge, Taylor & Francis
- Chernoff, E.J & Sriraman, B.(2015). The teaching and learning of probabilistic thinking. In J.Kaufman et al (Eds). The Routledge international handbook of Research on Teaching Thinking. Routledge, pp.369-377.
- Job, J., & Sriraman, B. (2015). The Concept of Teacher-Student/Student-Teacher in Higher Education Trends. Interchange : A Quarterly Review of Education, vol.46,no.3, pp.215-223
- Sriraman, B., & Haavold, P. (2017). Creativity and giftedness in mathematics education: A pragmatic view. In J. Cai (Ed). First Compendium for Research in Mathematics Education, NCTM, Reston,VA
- Sriraman, B., & Dickman, B. (2017). Mathematical pathologies as pathways into creativity. ZDM Mathematics Education
- Sriraman, B. (2017). Organic creativity and the Faustian Bargain: Reconciling Opposites. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education
- Sriraman,B. (2017). Dimensions of mathematical thinking and learning in ACCEL. Roeper Review, vol.39, no.3, 206-209.
- Sriraman B., Lande D. (2018) “Integrating” Creativity and Technology Through Interpolation. In: Freiman V., Tassell J. (eds) Creativity and Technology in Mathematics Education. Mathematics Education in the Digital Era, vol 10. Springer, Cham
- Sriraman,B., & Haavold, P. (2018). Reconciling the realist/anti realist dichotomy in the philosophy of mathematics. In S.Wuppuluri and F. Doria (Eds). Map and Territory, exploring the foundations of science, thought and reality (pp.377-388). The Frontiers Collection. Springer
- Schmidt M., Sriraman B. (2019). Nyaya Methodology and Western Mathematical Logic: Origins and Implications. In: Sriraman B. (eds) Handbook of the Mathematics of the Arts and Sciences. Springer, Cham
- Sriraman,B. (2019). Uncertainty as a catalyst for mathematical creativity (Plenary paper). In M.Nolte (Ed), Including the Highly Gifted and Creative Students- Current Ideas and Future Directions: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness (MCG 11),pp.32-51 Universitaet Hamburg, Germany. WTM Verlag Muenster.
Selected Encyclopedia Entries
- Appova A., Sriraman B. (2019) Mathematical Cognition: In the Elementary Years [6–12]. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- Manouchehri A., Sriraman B. (2018) Mathematical Cognition: In Secondary Years [13–18] Part 1. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- Manouchehri A., Sriraman B. (2018) Mathematical Cognition: In Secondary Years [13–18] Part 2. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- Chernoff E.J., Sriraman B. (2018) Heuristics and Biases. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- Sriraman B., Chernoff E.J. (2018) Probabilistic and Statistical Thinking. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- Haavold P., Sriraman B., Lee KH. (2018) Creativity in Mathematics Education. In: Lerman S. (eds) Encyclopedia of Mathematics Education. Springer, Cham
- 2017 Fulbright Specialist at University of Tromso, Norway [June 2017]
- 2016 UM Distinguished Scholar Award
- 2014 Fulbright Specialist in Mathematics Education at Universidad Antonio Narino, Colombia [June 2015]
- 2014 Roeper Review Interview
- 2009 Golden Alumni Award- Northern Illinois University
- 2008 UM President's Report
- 2007 School Science and Mathematics Association Early Scholar Award
- 2006,2007 Nominated for the NAGC Early Scholar Award
- 2002 NAGC Research Brief of the Year Award
Fluency in English, German, Hindi (written and spoken)
Fluency in Kannada, Tamil & Urdu (spoken)
Proficiency in French and Persian (Farsi) (written and spoken)
Basic Proficiency in Danish (written and spoken)
INTERNATIONAL DISSERTATION SUPERVISION [RECENT]
Dissertation Co- Supervisor, Narges Yaftian, Iran University of Science and Technology, June 2010- May 2013.
Title of Dissertation: Examining experiences with creative activities with novice learners of mathematics to identify a mathematical model of influential factors
Dissertation Co-Supervisor, Haavold Per Oystein, University of Tromso, Norway, Spring 2010-December 2013
Title of Dissertation: What are the characteristics of mathematical creativity: An empirical and theoretical investigation.
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada- Evaluator for grants on innovation and talent development
TENURE AND PROMOTION EVALUATOR
North Carolina State University, for Full Professor
University of Iceland, for Associate Professor
University of Massachusetts- Amherst for Associate Professor
Memorial University, New Foundland, Canada, for Associate Professor
University of Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, for Full Professor
University of Texas, Austin, for tenure and promotion
University of Iceland, for promotion to Associate Professor
MENTORING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA
- Mentored Ke Wu [Associate Professor, Dept of Mathematical Sciences, The University of Montana], 2008-2013.
- Mentored Jacob Baynham [B.S in Journalism, 2006] 2002-06
- Mentored Ben Harris, master’s student in economics, 2006-2007 [Admitted to PhD program in Economics at Simon Fraser University]
- Mentored Rafael Villareal, undergraduate honors student
- Mentored Amy Minto, graduate student at large, 2007-08 [Admitted to PhD program in Business at University of Oregon]
- Outreach activities organized in Local Middle schools as part of Honors Calculus Service Component
- Math Enrichment, Cold Springs Elementary School, Missoula, 2012-2013
High School Teacher, 2000-2002, Ottawa Township High School, Illinois
Middle School Student Teacher, 1999-2000, Huntley Middle School, DeKalb, Illinois
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 1996-2000, Northern Illinois University
In academia since 2002...
Merchant Marine, 1989-1992
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany; Jan 2005
- University of Hamburg, December/January 2006 & January 2007 [one week]
- University of Southern Denmark, January 2006 [one week]
- University of Cyprus, February 2006, April 2007, May 2008 [one week each]
- University of Moncton, New Brunswick, April 2006 [one week]
- University of Athens and University of Cyprus; August 2006 [two weeks]
- Iceland Univ. of Education, October 2006,
- University of Iceland, March 2007 and Feb 2008 [one week each, Two visits for data collection in Northern Iceland]
- Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey, June 2007 & July 2008 [1.5 weeks each]
- Queensland University of Technology, Australia, July 2005; April 2008 [one week]
- Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey May/June 2009
- Iran University of Science and Technology August 2009
- University of Duisburg-Essen, September 2009
- University of Agder, Norway October 2009
- University of Tromso, Norway January-February 2010
- Umea University, Sweden, March 2010
- University of Aarhus, Denmark March 2010
- University of Agder, Norway May 2010
- University of Stavanger, Norway May 2010
- University of Agder, October 2010
- University of Oslo, October 2010
- Seoul National University, November 2010
- University of Saskatchewan, January 2011
- University of Iceland, May 2011
- University of Tromso, Norway November 2011
- Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina, April 2012
- University Sainsi- Penang, Malaysia, December 2012
- University of Iceland, March 2013
- Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon- Turkey, June 2013
- Ahi Evran Üniversitesi, Kirshehir- Turkey, June-July 2013
- University of the Western Cape, South Africa, Sept. 2013
- University of Tromso, Norway, December 2013
- University of Iceland, March 2014
- University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, June 2014
- University of Iceland, November 2014 (1 week)
- University of Iceland, May 2015 (1 week)
- Universidad Antonio Narino, Colombia (February 2015; June 2015 as Fulbright Specialist)
- University of Haifa, Israel (June/July 2015)
- University of Iceland (March 2016) (1 week)
- University of Saskatchewan (June 2016) John Ranton McIntosh Visiting Scholar
- University Sains Malaysia (January 2017)
- University of Iceland (February 2017) (1 week)
- University of Tromso, Norway (June 2017, Fulbright Specialist)
- Stockholm University, Sweden (November 2017 as Dissertation Opponent)
- Seoul National University, South Korea (January 5-10, 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (June 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (August 2018)
- University of Tromso, Norway (November 2018)
- University of Sasktachewan (Jan 30-Feb2, 2019; John Ranton McIntosh Visiting Scholar)
- University of Tromso, Norway (June 2019)
- University of Hamburg, Germany (August 2019)
LEADERSHIP/ORGANIZATIONAL ROLE IN RESEARCH SYMPOSIA AND FORUMS
- Co-organizer of The First International Symposium on Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at University of Education, Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany, May 2005.
- Co-organizer of Research Forum on Theories of Mathematics Education. 29th Annual meeting of International Group for Psychology in Mathematics Education (PME), Melbourne, Australia, July 2005.
- Co-organizer of the Working Group on Modeling and Applications at the 5th Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME5), Larnaca, Cyprus Feb 21-27, 2007.
- Co-organizer of the 2nd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Southern Denmark, Odense, [May 2007]
- Organizer of Symposium “Mathematics/science pedagogy and its connections to science/math and the arts” 9th International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching Group (IHPST) 2007, University of Calgary, June 2007.
- Co-organizer of Working Group on Data modeling at 13th International Community on Teaching Modeling & Applications (ICTMA 13).Bloomington, Indiana, July 22-26, 2007.
- 2007 Oberwolfach Symposium on Professional Development of Mathematics Teachers: Research and Practice from an International Perspective November11- 17, 2007, Oberwolfach, Germany [Invited by the International Program Committee consisting of members of the Deutsche-Mathematiker Vereinigung; Gesellschaft für Didaktik der Mathematik (GDM), and American Mathematical Society (AMS)]
- Co-organizer of 3rd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Moncton, NB, Canada [May 2009] Symposium funded through SSHRC- Canada Grant [co-applicant with Viktor Freiman ]
- Co-organizer (with Kyeong-Hwa Lee) Special Sessions on Creativity and Talent development in Mathematics. Joint Korea and American Mathematical Society meeting, Seoul Korea, Dec 16-20.2009.
- Co-organizer of joint PIMS/DMV meeting at Banff International Research Center (Canada) ConferenceTeachers as Stakeholders in Mathematics Education Research (MER) held in December 2010
I hold an appointment as Adjunct Senior Research Scientist at the Kaput Center for Research and Innovation in STEM Education, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. In addition I edit a number of journals and different book series with Springer Nature and Brill.
Founding Editor, The Mathematics Enthusiast [is independent, open-access and assigns copyright to authors]