Montana Arabic Summer Institute
Funded by a grant from the US National Security Agency (NSA), the Arabic Section at the University of Montana will offer a three-week intensive Arabic program for high school students. MASI 2015 will run from June 22nd to July 10th. Below is brief information about MASI 2015, and more updates will be posted from time to time.
MASI 2015 will
- include 2 Levels:
- Level 1: No previous knowledge of Arabic
- Level 2: Former Level 1 students OR new students who have been introduced to Arabic while in high school
- be open to a total of 25 students (divided into the two levels)
- be taught by experienced instructors of Arabic who hold at least MA degrees
- start on June 22 to July 10 (from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- provide lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 [NEW this year, daily lunch is provided by the program.]
- cover the costs of instructional materials (i.e., textbooks and flash drives), registration fees (for students to receive 5 college credits), and T-shirts.
Applications are now accepted. Please use the navigation menu to fill out the "Student's" application and have your guradian fill out the "Guardian's" form. These forms are required from all students. Recommendation letters and short essays are required from new students only; so, returning students do not need to submit essays or recommendation letters.
We expect commitment to attend the full program (three weeks; 9:00 am to 3:00 pm). A few seats are still available, and they will be given on a "first come, first serve" basis. We look forward to seeing your application.
MASI is one of about 135 STARTALK programs, which are administered by the National Foreign Language Center (NFLC) at the University of Maryland. For the purpose of improving future STARTALK programs, NFLC gathers information about students and conducts surveys. In order for NFLC to be able to do so, consent forms are required:
Students Under 18 (on June 22nd) - Minor
Students who are 18 or above (on June 22nd) - Non-Minor
Students who will be under the age of 18 (on the first day of instruction, June 22nd) need to have their parent(s)/guardian(s) fill out and sign the Consent Form. Students who will be 18 or above can fill out and sign the Consent Form on their own. Please bring the completed Consent Form with you on the first day of instruction. Consent Forms are required even from former MASI students. If you have any questions, please contact the program's director.
If you have any questions, please contact the Head of the Arabic Section & Proejct Director, Dr. Huthaily at email@example.com.