National Youth Science Camp (NYSC)
The National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) is a residential science education program that honors and challenges two graduating high school science students from each state. Scientists from across the nation present lectures and hands-on science seminars and linger to interact informally with student delegates. Delegates are challenged to explore new areas in the biological and physical sciences, art, and music with resident staff members. Opportunities are provided for delegates to present seminars covering their own areas of interest and research. A visit to Washington D.C. permits delegates to visit some of the nation’s premier scientific, governmental, and cultural facilities. The NYSC experience includes overnight excursions into the Monongahela National Forest featuring backpacking, rock-climbing, caving, mountain biking, and kayaking opportunities. Delegates are required to participate in the camp program for its entirety as the fast-paced activities and remote location make travel to and from the NYSC very difficult.
The National Youth Science Camp is offered at no cost to its participants so that selected delegates may attend regardless of their financial status. All educational and recreational programming, as well as meals, lodging, and round-trip air passage on scheduled airlines are provided free of charge to the delegates.
- Must graduate from high school between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017.
- Must have documented superior academic proficiency, including recognition in mathematics or the sciences.
- Must have documented leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in school or community activities.
- Must have documented skills and achievements outside the realm of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics and outside the realm of academia.
- Must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics.
- Must intend to pursue higher education and a career in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics related field.
- Must be willing and able to participate in the entire National Youth Science Camp program. The 2017 NYSC is tenatively scheduled June 14 - July 8, 2017.
APPLICATIONS are planned to be open on November 1, 2016 for the 2017 National Youth Science Camp (NYSCamp).
- Register for an account.
- Once you register, you will need to check your email for an account activation link. You should receive the email within a couple of minutes.
- Complete the online application.
If you have any questions, please visit www.nysf.com, call (304) 205-9724, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.