UPDATE as of 09/28/2020: At this time, due to the recent surge in active COVID-19 cases in Missoula County, and per the guidelines of Missoula County Public Health, we are not currently taking requests for private shows. We apologize for any inconvenience, and we look forward to hosting your group in the near future, or as soon as we are able to safely reopen.
Shows are $60 for a one hour live planetarium show, with a group size of up to 10 guests. This number is 30% of normal capacity and ensures that current physical distancing guidelines can be observed. We require at least one adult chaperone per group.
A typical program will begin with a preview and sampling of what is currently visible in our skies of western Montana. The content for the remainder of time can be coordinated by the presenter and the visiting group. We have a variety of possible topics from which to choose, including:
- Journey Through the Solar System: A dynamic tour of the solar system, with captivating visits to the sun, the moon, the planets, moons, and other minor bodies in our neighborhood. The specific route through our solar system is able to be tailored to the desires and interests of each group.
- The Milky Way - Inside and Out: A captivating voyage through the local neighborhood of our home galaxy, showcasing the appearance of the Milky Way from various locations. Highlighting its geometry and structure, the show culminates with a breathtaking view we would see from outside the Milky Way. Hopefully, your cosmic perspective will be forever altered.
- The Life Cycles of Stars: A full-dome movie that takes students through the birth, life, and death of different types of stars. Showcasing the events that trigger star formation, and ultimately depicting the cataclysmic demise of the most massive stars, this show will delight the stellar enthusiast in you.
- Capturing the Aurora Borealis: A full-dome movie that explains the phenomenon we call the Northern lights. Includes beautiful cinematography and time-lapse videos of auroral outbursts. Whether or not you've seen an auroral display, this program has some visual appeal for everyone.
- Gems of the Night Sky: An in-depth look at some of the most beautiful objects visible from our backyards here in Montana. Covering objects visible at the limits of the naked eye, along with those that are stunning in a telescope, you’ll come away with an appreciation of the hidden treasures passing overhead each night.
- The Constellations Through Time: A continuation of our introductory constellation segment, audiences will explore the mythologies and cultural interpretations of the stars. Including an illustration of how the seasons alter the appearance of the night sky, audiences will also witness the constellations transform as we drift one million years into the future.
School shows are offered on weekdays during normal class time. Given the demand, and the availiablity of our faculty, staff, and student presenters, we cannot guarantee your prefered time will be available.
To request a show, fill out the school request form with all of the relevant information and we will get back to you as soon as possible regarding availiablity. Please submit your request at least 3 weeks in advance of your preferred date. If you have not received a response within 3 business days, or if you have questions please call 406-243-2073.