What Recent Graduates Say about UM Political Science
84% of graduates said the PSCI major contributed “a great deal” or “a good deal” to their understanding of the major fields of political science.
- 88% said the PSCI major assisted them “a great deal” or “a good deal” in developing analytical and critical thinking skills.
- 78% said PSCI assisted them “a great deal” or “a good deal” in developing research skills.
- 80% said the major assisted them “a great deal” or “a good deal” in developing writing skills.
- 93% gave an oral presentation in a PSCI course.
- 92% participated in a debate or simulation in a PSCI course. Many classes have active-learning components to develop public speaking, interview, and negotiation skills.
Citizenship, Leadership, and Careers in Government, Politics, Law, and Teaching
- 78% said the PSCI major assisted them “a great deal” or “a good deal” in preparing for citizenship and career practices such as voting, engaging in political and community work, understanding current political events, contacting public officials, endorsing candidates, and speaking at government hearings.
- 36% of graduates participated in community-service activities in their PSCI courses.
- 51% participated in PSCI-related extra-curricular activities such as Pi Sigma Alpha or Montana Model United Nations.
- 58% of graduates had a PSCI-related internship at the local, state, national, or international level.
- 83% were satisfied with the quality of faculty advising.
Source: 2015/16 to -2017/18 Senior Exit Surveys, 192 respondents (80% of graduates).