Christine Fiore, Ph.D.
Professor of Clinical PsychologyOffice: Skaggs Bldg 238
Psyx 530 Interviewing and Case History
Psyx 631 Family Psychology
Psyx 5/634 Clinical Methods
Psyx 348 Psychology of Family Violence
Psyx 351S Psychology of Personality
My current research focuses on the women's experience of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV), rural influences on IPV experiences, Sexual Assault Prevention on college campuses and advancing women in science. I also have interests in health behavior change and the effectiveness of training in Motivational Interviewing. A sample of work coming from my research lab is listed below:
I do not plan to accept a graduate student for mentorship for the 2018 - 2019 academic year.
B.A. California State University Fullerton, 1983
M.A. University of Rhode Island, 1988
Ph.D. University of Rhode Island, 1990
Internship, Brown University Psychology Consortium, 1989-90
Violence Against Women, Sexual Assault Prevention, Motivational Interveiwing for Health Behavior Change, DIsruptive Behaviors Disorders in Children
Campus Climate Survey, Cooperative Agreement DOJ-Sexual Assault Prevention
Field of Study
Clinical, child and family, health
- Intimated Partner Violence and Campus Sexual Assault
- Motivational Interviewing for Health Behavioral Change
Wonzniak, DA, Fiore, C & Hubble, E "Transforming a Rape Prone Culture: Community change in cyberspace. The Montana Professor 23.2, Spring 2013
Fiore, C. & O'Shea, K (2007) "Women in Violent Relationships: Experiences with the Legal and Medical Systems" Intimate Partner Violence, Kendall-Tackett, K.A. & Giacomoni, S.M. (Eds.) NJ: Civic Research Institute.
Fiore Lerner, C. & Thomas Kennedy, L. Vol. 24, (2) 2000, pp.215-232. "Stay-Leave Decision-Making in Violent Relationships: trauma, coping and self-efficacy" Cognitive Therapy and Research.
"Development of Decisional Balance Measures for Women in Violent Relationships", 7th International Family Violence Research Conference, Portsmouth, NH, July, 2001
Fiore, C., Acton, K.A., & Daskavich, B.A. (1998). Processes of Change in American Indians with Diabetes in Montana" Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 20, 58.
Acton, K.A. & Fiore, C. (1996) "Identification of Psychosocial and Behavioral Issues in American Indians with Diabetes in Montana Using Focus Groups," Diabetes, 45, 2, 153.
Prochaska, J.O., Velicer, W.F., Rossi, J.S., Goldstein, M.G., Marcus, B.H., Rakowski, W., Fiore, C., Harlow, L.L., Redding, C.A., Rosenbloom, D., Rossi, S. Health Psychology (1994). "Stages of Change and Decisional Balance for Twelve Problem Behaviors."
Fifth International Family Violence Conference, "The Complexity of Stay-Leave Decision Making in Battered Women: Differential Influences on Outcome," with Linda Thomas Kennedy, Durham, NH, June 30, 1997.
Fifth International Family Violence Conference, "Working with the Transtheoretical Model of Change in Family Violence Research: Benefits and Challenges - a General Discussion," panel with other research professionals around the country apply the TM model to Family Violence, Durham, other research professionals around the country apply the TM model to Family Violence, Durham, NH, June 30, 1997.
1. Fiore C, Legerski J, Doane K, Young M, Taylor L, & Kennedy LT. (2008, February). Intimate Partner Violence in the Lives of Women: Social Support, Trauma and Rural Impacts on Safety and Well-being. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Summit on Violence and Abuse in Relationships: Connecting Agendas and Forging New Directions, Bethesda, MD.
2. Legerski, J. & Fiore, C. (2007, July). What we know about rural battered women: Findings from Western Montana domestic violence research. In Fiore (Chair), Intimate Partner Violence in the Lives of Women: Qualitative Studies of Resilience, Trauma, and Social Support. Panel presented at the International Family Violence and Child Victimization Research Conference, Portsmouth, NH.
3. Fiore, C., & Legerski, J. (2007, July). Social support and trauma symptoms: Characteristics of positive and negative experiences. In Fiore (Chair), Intimate Partner Violence in the Lives of Women: Qualitative Studies of Resilience, Trauma, and Social Support. Panel presented at the International Family Violence and Child Victimization Research Conference, Portsmouth, NH.
4. Fiore, C., & Legerski, J. (2007, June). Utilizing Recruitment and Retention Interview Data to Inform Policy. Roundtable discussion performed at the 2007 National Science Foundation ADVANCE Annual Meeting, Arlington, VA.
1. Legerski, J. & Fiore, C. (2006, April). Help-seeking and social support barriers for rural battered women. In Fiore (Chair), Women in violent relationships: Rural women's unique experiences. Panel presented at the Western Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, CA.
2. Fiore, C., Ruggiero, C., Legerski, J., & Kennedy, L. (2006, April). Rural victims of intimate partner violence: Experiences with medical services. In Fiore (Chair), Women in violent relationships: Rural women's unique experiences. Panel presented at the Western Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, CA
3. Fiore, C., Taylor, L., Wilkins, N., White, A., & Legerski, J. (2006, April). Help-Seeking Barriers: The Role of Shame and Depression in Battered Women. Poster presented at the Western Psychological Association Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, CA.