All undergraduate students majoring in Sociology are assigned a department faculty member who serves as their major advisor, and helps them to meet all major (and major option) requirements for their BA degree.

However, Sociology major advisors cannot do many other kinds of academic advising. Consult the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to help you find additional resources.

Advising FAQs

Your first step is to contact the Education Abroad Coordinator in the Office of Global Engagement. The Education Abroad Office assists students wishing to study abroad, and assists in processing applications for UM-sponsored study abroad and exchange programs.  Professor Daisy Rooks, the Sociology undergraduate advising coordinator, can also help you determine which courses can meet requirements for the Sociology major. 

Minors can be departmental minors, such as a minor in Psychology, or interdisciplinary minors, such as International Development Studies (IDS). Departmental minors are administered by their departments and you can get advice from departmental representatives. Interdisciplinary minors usually have designated minor coordinators. For any interdisciplinary minor that you are considering, check the A-Z index on the UM website and find out who the faculty coordinator is, and contact that person or their supporting staff. Note: In some cases, Sociology faculty may also serve as interdisciplinary minor advisors.

As a transfer student, you should have received a letter and transcript from the UM Registrar's Office indicating what courses you have taken elsewhere that have transfer credit, and what credit designation they have received (e.g. an "NS" after a course that you have elsewhere means that you have received Natural Science credit towards UM's General Education requirement). If you don't know what the transfer credits mean, or you need help obtaining your transcript, contact the Registrar's Office. If you need help obtaining transfer credit that you believe should be given for courses you have taken elsewhere, contact the Undergraduate Advising Center, which is also located in the Lomasson Center. [Note: If you need help obtaining equivalence credit for Sociology major course requirements, please see the next section]. You need to bring all of your transfer credit documentation with you to your advising appointments.

Please see the chair, or co-chairs, of the Department for questions regarding course equivalences, or substitutions towards the Sociology major requirement.

You are placed on academic probation at the end of any semester if your cumulative GPA drops below 2.00. "Academic Probation" is the yellow light phase of academic progress - it indicates that you are experiencing challenges at the University that are now reflected in your course performance. Being placed on academic probation does not mean you cannot succeed at the University. You should seek the array of services and programs offered through the Division of Student Affairs. You remain on academic probation as long as your cumulative grade point average is below a 2.00. If you ultimately face academic dismissal, the Division of Student Affairs can advise you.

Financial aid questions are addressed by the UM Financial Aid Office, located in Lommasson Center 218, by calling (406) 243-5373, or emailing

  • If you have or need documentation of a disability, you should contact Disability Services for Students (DSS), especially if you need assistance taking notes, need to make special arrangements for exams, or have other related needs. DSS is located in Lommasson Center 154; you can contact the office by email at
  • If you are a First-Generation College Student (neither parent (or guardian) completed a four-year college degree before your 18th birthday), or are a Low-Income student (you qualify under federal financial guidelines, similar to Pell Grant eligibility), or have a documented physical or learning disability, you may be eligible for TRiO Student Support Services. Meeting any one of these qualifications entitles you to receive support and advice from the TRiO advisors. The TRiO office is located in Lommasson 180; you can contact the TRiO staff by calling (406) 243-5032, or emailing
  • If you are a veteran, and need advice and/or resources, you can contact the Veteran's Education and Transition Services (V.E.T.S.) Office. The office is located at 1000 E. Beckwith, Missoula, MT 59801; they can be contacted by phone, at 406-243-2744, or by emailing
  • If you are an international student, and have questions about your academic program while attending UM, you can contact Marja Unkuri-Chaudry, in the International Center 110, by calling (406) 243 2296, or emailing
  • If you are a student athlete, you can contact your Athletic Academic Advisor, Jennifer Zellmer-Cuaresma, by calling (406) 243-2600, or emailing Jennifer's office is located in EL 287.
  • If you are a Native American student, and need advice and/or resources, please contact American Indian Student Services in the Payne Family Native American Center, by calling (406) 243-6306, or emailing

First, you will need to use Academic Planner, a tool designed to help you plan your class schedule. Academic Planner is not like Cyberbear, where you can actually register for classes. Rather, Academic Planner acts as a guide to make sure that you are on track to meet your academic goals, for example, ensuring that you have the right number of credits, and helping you avoid scheduling conflicts. To use Academic Planner, you must first log on to OneStop, which is a customized landing page just for students. You must know your NetID and password (you can find out your NetID under personal information in CyberBear). Once you are logged in to Academic Planner, click the Academics tab in the upper left corner, and select the semester you want to work with.

The next step, after planning your schedule on Academic Planner, which is seeking input from an advisor. If you are a freshman or sophomore with a declared major in Sociology, you need to make an appointment with Melanie Hoell, the College of Arts and Science's academic advisor. You can contact Melanie by emailing, or by calling (406) 243-4005. Her office is located in LA 136.

If you are a junior or senior with a declared major in Sociology, you should plan to go to a Department of Sociology Group Advising Session. Group sessions are arranged to give you course advising information, registration numbers, and times specifically for the upcoming semester's scheduled courses. The schedule for Group Advising Sessions will be posted a week before the advising period begins, on the announcement white board next to the Department's administrative assistant office. When you come to a department Group Advising Session, make sure you bring:

If you still have questions after the Department's Group Advising Session, you can make an individual advising appointment with your Sociology faculty advisor. Lists of assigned faculty advisors are posted outside the Department's administrative assistant's office door (SS 333). Look for your name, and the faculty advisor to whom you have been assigned; appointment schedules are posted on faculty advisors' doors, and you can sign up for an advising appointment during the advising period each semester (except for summer sessions). When you go to your individual advising appointment, make sure you bring:

  • your tentative course schedule from Academic Planner
  • your transcript
  • your completed General Education Form (also available in the Department)
  • your Sociology Major Requirement Form (also available in the Department)

Graduation applications for a BA degree in Sociology are available in the form shelves near the Department's mail room. Please plan to attend a Graduation Application Group Advising Session in the semester prior to your last anticipated semester, prior to that semester's application deadline (e.g., by October 1 in Fall semester if you are graduating at the end of the following Spring semester). The chair, or co-chairs, of Sociology will collect and review your completed graduation application following the Graduation Application Group Advising Session.

Please see your Sociology faculty advisor for additional resources.