Financial Support

The majority of graduate students in chemistry receive either a teaching assistantship (TA) or research assistantship (RA) during the academic year plus a summer stipend to support research.

Job opportunities often are available for spouses of graduate students at the University or locally. These include teaching positions, government work, and work in the Missoula business community. The University also offers full-time employment information through the Office of Career Services, located in the Emma B. Lommasson Center, Room 154.

Teaching Assistantships

Most entering graduate students are supported initially through Teaching Assistantships. The normal teaching load is about eight contact and 15 total hours per week. TA duties may include leading a discussion or laboratory section, meeting with students in tutorials, proctoring exams and grading. These appointments also cover tuition and most fees.

Research Assistantships

Most students switch from teaching to research assistantship support after one or two years. RAs are available from research grants and contracts awarded by government agencies or private organizations. An RA often pays a student for the research leading to the M.S. or Ph.D. degree, greatly increasing the time a student may spend on research. RA stipends are similar to the TA stipend and cover tuition and most fees.

Summer Research Assistantships

Students are normally expected to work full time on research during the summer. Summer RA support is nearly always available to support students during this period. A beginning graduate student occasionally may obtain an RA the summer before he or she enters the graduate program. Such appointments are arranged between the student and individual faculty members.

Fellowships and Grants

The Department receives announcements of many fellowships/traineeships and grants for graduate students. These are described in the weekly departmental announcements collected by the administrative assistant. Bertha Morton fellowships are offered yearly by the University. Federal agencies (e.g., DOE, NASA, NSF, and NIH ) offer very attractive fellowship.