CSFN Sponsored Summer Fellowship
Application materials should be received by CSFN no later than Friday, April 2nd for the summer of 2021.
To be eligible for a SURF Fellowship, you must:
- Be a continuing undergraduate student or have just completed your baccalaureate degree
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
Upon receiving a SURF award, students accepting the fellowship agree to fulfill the following requirements:
- To devote full effort to conducting the SURF project (Fellows are discouraged from simultaneously holding part-time jobs)
- To participate in the project for a full 10 to 12-week period beginning in either late May or early June except by special arrangement with the faculty sponsor
- To participate in the poster session in mid-August reporting the results of their research
In addition to projects in Cellular & Molecular and Cognitive & Behavioral Neuroscience, the CSFN is also interested in sponsoring student summer research projects that focus on the intersection of neuroscience with the Humanities, Arts & Education fields. These projects may include a non-neuroscience UM faculty mentor and be designed as either an independent or collaborative effort with other CSFN faculty.
A number of the summer undergraduate research fellowships will be funded through support generously provided by the W.M. Keck Foundation as part of the UM project: Neuroscience: a novel perspective for the campus-wide integration of STEM, Liberal Arts, and Education curricula.
SURF Fellows can expect to earn approximately $4,000-$5,000 (pre-tax) during their fellowship. Wages will be subject to state and federal taxation. Fellowships do not include housing and transportation costs. On-campus housing is sometimes available for the summer; fellows should research available housing through the ASUM Off-Campus Renter CenterHousing Finder, the Missoula Craigslist, and/or through the Missoulian Classifieds.