Juvenile Justice: An Introduction to Process, Practice, and Research
Author: James Burfeind
Additional Authors: Dawn Jeglum Bartusch (Valparaiso University) and Dusten R. Hollist (University of Montana)
Juvenile Justice: An Introduction to Process, Practice, and Research provides a comprehensive and thought-provoking introduction to the juvenile justice system in the United States. It begins by tracing the historical origins of the legal concept of juvenile delinquency and the institutional responses that developed, and analyzes the problem of delinquency, including its patterns, correlates, and causes. With this essential foundation, the book examines the full range of efforts to respond to delinquency through both informal and formal mechanisms of juvenile justice.
Publisher: Routledge, New York and London
Emeritus Professor of Sociology
Moorhead State College (Minnesota State University, Moorhead), BA
Portland State University, MUS
Portland State University, PhD
Field of Study
Criminological Theory, Juvenile Delinquency, Juvenile Justice, Sociology of Corrections
- Juvenile Justice: An Introduction to Process, Practice, and Research. James Burfeind, Dawn Jeglum Bartusch, and Dusten R. Hollist. New York and London: Routledge. 2019.
- Juvenile Delinuquency: An Integrated Approach (3rd edition). James Burfeind and Dawn Jeglum Bartusch. New York and London: Routledge. 2016.
- Crime and Justice in Two Societies: Japan and the United States. Ted D. Westermann and James W. Burfeind. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. 1991.
- Most Inspirational Teacher Award, University of Montana, May 2009.
- Sabbatical Award, University of Montana, Spring Semester 1999; Fall Semester 2008; Spring Semester 2016.
- Merit Award in Teaching, University of Montana, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2011.
Primary teaching responsibilities: Juvenile Delinquency (SOCI 330), Juvenile Justice System (SOCI 335); Criminological Theory (SOCI 438 and 538), and Sociology of Corrections (SOCI 423).
Director of Treatment, The Next Door, Inc., Hood River, OR
Cottage Parent, Queen Louise Home for Children, St. Croix, Virgin Island
Probation and Parole Officer, Scott County Court Services, Shakopee, MN