Deadlines & Requirements
Applications are accepted for Fall admission only. In order to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship, an application file must be complete by February 1. The deadline for receipt of application materials for admission only is March 15. Complete application packets received after this date will be considered on a space available basis.
- A grade-point average of at least 3.0 for all college work.
- An undergraduate degree in linguistics is not required, but an introductory course in linguistics is strongly recommend.
- Applications may be considered for provisional admission.
English Requirements for International Applicants
Applications from international applicants whose native language is not English must include evidence of English proficiency. For further information about English language requirements and minimum test scores, please refer to the International Student Admission page of the Graduate School website. Currently, The Linguistics Program does not admit students conditionally.
Documents to be submitted electronically to the Graduate School:
- On-line application form and application fee.
- 3 letters of recommendation. Online submissions are preferred; alternatively, recommendation forms may be downloaded from the Graduate School website and sent by surface mail. (See below for address.)
- A 1-2 page statement explaining why you want to pursue an MA degree in Linguistics at the University of Montana, your qualifications for studying linguistics at the graduate level, and your future career goals. (Use online application form.)
- Curriculum Vitae. (Use online application form.)
- Evidence of English proficiency for international applicants whose native language is not English. Please refer to the section English Requirements for International Applicants above.
Documents to be submitted directly to the Linguistics Program:
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended, sent by surface mail. (See below for address.) Unofficial transcripts sent electronically are acceptable only from the University of Montana.
- For Teaching Assistant applicants only: a writing sample (no more than 15 pages) sent electronically.
Documents submitted by surface mail to the Graduate School should be sent to:
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive #2592
Missoula, MT 59812-2592
Documents submitted by surface to the Linguistics Program should be sent to:
University of Montana
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812-5112