To be considered for admission to the graduate program, an applicant must submit:
- Completed on-line application form (see below), including non-refundable application fee.
- Scores for the GRE General Test, optional for citizens of foreign countries who take the TOEFL* exams. Submit test scores directly from GRE or TOEFL to the Grad School via our institution code: 4489.
- Three letters of recommendation, submitted by the writer via the Graduate Schools online application process. You may alternatively mail letters in a sealed envelope signed by the writer, with the items below, directly to the Math Department. Evaluation Form to include with mailed letters.
- Official transcripts of all previous college work. (Transcript Request Form (PDF))
- Content descriptions of all college-level mathematics courses completed.
- A personal statement of objectives.
- Applicants for a Master's or a Ph.D. degree must have a Bachelor's degree by time of their enrollment.
- In addition to the above requirements, applicants are encouraged to submit other evidence indicating the ability to pursue an advanced degree in mathematics (such as the GRE subject test in mathematics).
Application deadline: January 15th. Applications received after this date will be considered on a rolling basis.
Applicants whose native language is not English, must submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) scores to be admitted as a graduate nondegree or graduate degree seeking student. If the TOEFL score is below 580 (paper-based test), 237 (computer-based test) or 92 (internet based test), the IELTS score is below 6.5 or the MELAB score is below 82, applicants may be admitted provisionally into a graduate program or as a graduate nondegree student and be required to complete English as a Second Language course(s) before they can take courses in their major. Applicants who are graduates of English-speaking universities are not required to take the TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB, however, applicants must submit scores for the graduate administration test required by the program (i.e. GRE/GMAT). In some programs the TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores may substitute for GRE scores (check with the department)
Mail transcripts to:
Department of Mathematical Sciences
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812-0864
In case you need to contact us: Phone: 406-243-5312; Fax: 406-243-2674; email@example.com.
If admitted, citizens of foreign countries must provide an original (not a photocopy) certified statement from a bank or sponsoring agency that at least $40,187 is available for transfer to the United States to meet the cost of study in order for the Graduate School to issue an I-20 form. This amount can be reduced by the value of any financial aid awarded by the university. The Graduate School provides further details.
If you are unable to or choose not to apply online, you may request a paper application from the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (406) 243-2572. There will be an additional $10 charge for processing a paper application. (When calling or e-mailing, please provide the Graduate School with the following information 1. Name, 2. Address or e-mail where application materials can be sent, 3. Term applying for, 4. Program applying to, and 5. whether you are U.S. Citizen/Lawful Permanent Resident OR an International Applicant.)