Alpha Kappa Delta
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is the Sociology Honor Society. It promotes excellence in scholarship in the study of sociology, the research of social problems, and other social and intellectual activities that will lead to improvement in the human condition.
Students who meet the eligibility requirements will be invited to join each spring semester. The University of Montana branch of AKD holds an annual spring banquet and initiation ceremony.
Students who meet the following criteria are automatically nominated for membership:
- must be a declared sociology major
- must be enrolled at UM as a junior or senior
- must have an overall GPA of 3.5 or above (and a minimum of 3.0 in sociology courses)
- must have completed at least 4 regular courses in sociology
Benefits for members include:
- Lifetime membership in the society
- Free one-year subscription to Sociological Inquiry (the official journal of AKD)
- Access to undergraduate and graduate student paper competitions
- Other opportunities to receive cash prizes and travel money
- A potential increase in pay grade for Civil Service employees