Undergraduate Degrees in Japanese

All students from Japanese programs outside the University of Montana must meet with a Japanese faculty member to decide an appropriate course of study. For language courses, this usually means that the student will take a placement test. Set up an appointment to meet with a faculty member (you can email anyone from the Japanese section) before the semester begins. Be prepared to explain what courses you have taken, what textbooks you used, and bring a copy of your transcript indicating the credits earned and grade received.

Decisions about placement (including placing out of courses) should be made by the end of the first week of the semester.

More information on WLC Placement Exams

Major & Minor Requirements

UM Course Catalog

What can you do with a Japanese degree from UM?

Our graduates have gone on to work in Japanese and Asian business, the arts, IT, architecture, ESL, academia, translation, and government; a number have also pursued higher degrees in accounting, law, business and medicine. Our majors have won internationally competitive scholarships for further study at the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama. In addition, many UM Japanese majors have participated in the Japanese government’s JET program, either as Assistant Language Teachers or Coordinators for International Relations.