M.S. in Environmental Studies

Apply in 3 Easy Steps

1. Apply to Graduate School

  1. Fill out Graduate School application form -- On-line
  2. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (with at least one academic reference)
  3. Official Transcripts -- from ALL undergraduate schools attended (excluding UM)
  4. Official Test Scores -- GRE -- TOEFL, if English is a second language -- LSAT in lieu of a GRE, if applying for the joint Environmental Studies/Law degree 
  5. Pay application fee

2. Apply to Environmental Studies

  1. Fill out the Environmental Studies application form
  2. Essay/Statement Questions (within the application form)
  3. Resume
  4. Writing Samples -- required, if asking to be considered for a TAship or the Environmental Writing focus area 

3. Congratulations, the hardest part is done. Now, just make sure we have all required materials.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply?

Anyone with a BA or BS degree! Students from ANY undergraduate major are encouraged to apply for a Master of Science in Environmental Studies. 

When should I apply?

January 15th for Fall semester: Priority is given to incoming fall applications for admission to the program, TAships & other funding opportunities. A complete application is due on Jan. 15th. Please ask for transcripts & letters of reference in December. 

October 15th for Spring semester: Incoming spring applications are considered on a space available basis only. Incoming spring applicants rarely receive funding (inside the program) & are not considered for 1st year TAships.  

How do I monitor my application?

Applicants can monitor the status of their application materials on the College Net site by logging into your account & viewing your Personal Activity Page.  Materials will be logged in as received and your application status will be marked “application complete” once we have all required materials.

What happens after all my application materials are in?

All completed applications are initially screened by the Environmental Studies Director. They are then shared with potential faculty advisors - based on the applicants stated interests or by request. The decision for admission is based on the full consideration of the application materials, including, life experience as expressed in the written essays/statements & resume (we highly value evidence of service & engagement), undergraduate transcripts, and reference letters (with at least one academic reference). Writing samples, GRE's, transcripts and other test scores assist in deciding who is offered TAships and other funding opportunities. Final decisions for admission and funding are made by the entire faculty & Director. 

When will I hear if I have been admitted?

Applicants usually hear back from Environmental Studies by the end of Febraury. If an applicant is awarded a TAship or other funding, the letter of admittance will include an offer that the incoming student will need to accept or decline by April 15th. 

What kinds of funding does Environmental Studies provide for incoming 1st year students?

Inside the Program: We currently offer eight (8) full-year TAships for 1st year graduate students, four working within the  Environmental Studies Program, and four working in the English department. We also offer several one-semester scholarships, usually for $5,000.00. 

Outside the Program/On campus: The College of Humanities and Sciences offers a variety of competitive scholarships & awards. Please see the UM Scholarship Portal.

Indigenous (Native American, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian – U.S. citizens) incoming & current graduate students are eligible to apply for an A.P. Sloan Foundation scholarship.

Off-campus: There are numerous fellowships, scholarships & awards from off-campus programs that our students have successfully been awarded. Please contact us as soon as you plan to apply for us to help assist in the process.

Am I considered in-state or out-of-state for tuition?

The University of Montana classifies students, including applicants for admission, as either in-state or out-of-state for fee purposes. To establish in-state status, except for some exceptions, a person must reside in Montana for 12 continuous months (without taking any classes) & not be out of the state more than a total of 30 days.

Do I qualify for the 150% in-state tuition from the Western Regional Graduate Program?

The Environmental Studies Program is approved as a distinctive program within the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). This means -- if you are a legal resident of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawai‘i, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming, -- you will qualify for a tuition rate of 150% of the Montana resident tuition rate.  The UM Graduate School will notify you of your WRGP in-state tuition rate status upon admission. (Subject to continued UM WRGP policy.)

What if I want to do the joint Environmental Studies & Law degrees?

Applicants must apply to BOTH programs separately at the same time. After you are admitted to both programs, then contact us for further information.

What if I have other questions about applying to the M.S. in Environmental Studies?

Please call or contact our administrator & mama Bear -- Susan Elliott, at 406-243-6273, or susan.elliott@mso.umt.edu.